Thread: f/o Jack Smith s/n 165753 raf.vr.

Thanks

Default f/o Jack Smith s/n 165753 raf.vr.

hi everyone,this is my first post on this site so please be gentle.
    I have just recieved my fathers raf service record and am in need of some expert deciphering and maybe some detective work, any help would be appreciated.
    Among his many postings i have him posted to raf stn Poona on 20/4/45 pending disp.
    I then have him posted to a squadron on 16/5/45 which is very hard to read, my first guess would be 288 sqn but it could also read 298, 388, 398 or any other combination. the area looks like acsea also hard to read,i would love to find out his sqn so i can investigate further.
    his next posting is 21/11/45 to hq 229 group acsea, remarks are p/supy (i think).
    I can not see any other material that may be relevant but please advise if more info is required. regards jackson.

Thanks

Hello Jackson,

some googling tells me that 388 and 398 were not formed as squadrons during the war, so late 3xx series untis can be knocked out anyway.

288 was a home service unit only,
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/history_old/h288.html
    http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn286-290.htm

298 Squadron did transfer to India it turns out, late in the war:
    http://www.raf38group.org/298squadron
    But the dates given online are that this began in July 1945, not May, but their may be advanced units maybe.

Does it list what his trade was? Was he a pilot, navigator, bomb aimer etc.

I've only seen very few RAF wartime service records, does it list any aircraft types? halifax or similar. if you could list his earlier training postings it might help.

Of the possibly squadrons you think it is, 298 is the most likely but only since you mention it. Can you scan the area of the sheet of paper and email it to some of us for review?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

hi dennis, thank you for your prompt reply, you will have to bear with me but my experience with this sort of thing is very limited. Firstly he was a navigator during the war, and unfortunately the records only seem to give units and trade changes plus a few medical notes. I am told there is a mine of information in the records if only i could decipher them, which is my goal.I am only using a laptop so my only access to a scanner is through my better halfs business equipment which i cannot get to till tomorrow (public holiday here in australia). If you would let me know where to email i would be only too happy to do so. This has all his postings as an officer during and after the war.
    regards jackson.