Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 107 Squadron Blenheim loss, RNZAF crewman.

shinz Guest

Default 107 Squadron Blenheim loss, RNZAF crewman.

From CWGC I get the details of Sgt A J Hannah RNZAF as being killed in a 107 Sqadron Blenheim on the 24-04-1941.AFAIK Anthony Hannah was no relative of mine but I first became aware of him in 1982 while visiting the ( I think) Strathallan Museum. On the wall was a barnacle encrusted propellor from a Blenheim which had been fished up off Norway from memory. Sgt Hannah was listed as one of the crew of the plane which had been IDed by a serial no on the prop or some such. I have over the years tried to find out more about him & the plane. I have looked him up in Errol Martyns book but haven't been able to find out much about the plane. Any ideas how best I go about this?
    I found it a "someones just walked over my grave" sort of moment when I saw my own surname in such a remote place & to find he was another Kiwi was uncanny. I visited Runnymede on Remembrance day that year & placed a poppy below his name on the tablet.
    Steve.

Thanks

Default 107 Squadron Blenheim loss, RNZAF crewman.

Hello Steve,

Blenheim IV Z5795 OM-M from 107 Sqn lost on 24 April 1941
    T/o: Leuchars
    Time: 18:00
    Op: Stand Patrol

Crew:
    P/O Charles Peter Hope MacLaren, RAFVR, 86640 +
    Sgt Anthony James Hannah, RNZAF, 40738 +
    Sgt Douglas Stevenson Hutcheon King, RAFVR, 751304 +

Failed to return. P/O MacLaren rests in Kristiansand Civil Cemetery, Norway.
    While his crew are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

Source: Ross McNeill's book - Coastal Command Losses.

Regards

Finn Buch

shinz Guest

Thanks Finn, that pretty much covers what I wanted, I'll try to get my hands on a copy of that book, it sounds like one I should have.
    Steve.

Thanks

Steve,

From my Vol One of 'For Your Tomorrow' (you may have only seen Hannah's bio entry, in my Vol Three?):

Thu 24 Apr 1941
    Coastal Command

Reconnaissance of Norwegian coast
    107 Squadron, RAF (Leuchars, Fifeshire - 18 Group)
    Blenheim IV Z5795 - took off at 1800 piloted by Plt Off C P H Maclaren, RAF, and shot down by enemy fighters into the sea. The pilotís body later washed ashore near Kristiansand, but no trace of his two comrades could be found and they are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. 107 Sqn, normally under Bomber Command, was on detachment to Coastal Command from 3 March to 10 May 1941.
    Observer: NZ40738 Sgt Anthony James HANNAH, RNZAF - Age 20. 164hrs. 12th op.

Errol

shinz Guest

Thanks Errol, I suspect it was as you say because the entry I saw was not AFAIR as full as that.
    Steve.

Thanks

Default Poppy

Thanks for honouring another fallen New Zealander. Bless you xx
    Dee

shinz Guest

Not a hard thing to do Dee. In my travels around Europe back in the 80s, I visited quite a few CWGC cemeterys, including Paschendale(?), Cassino & Gallipoli to name a few bigger ones as well as a no. of smaller or less prominent ones, including the Schoonselhof cemetery in Antwerp where my Uncle is buried. I was always struck by how many Kiwis there seemed to be & how sad & flaming pointless that they were lying there so far from home. I often discuss this with my kids, boys 15,12 & 9, as I have told the about Anthony James Hannah. I hope by this they can get an appreciation of the sacrifices that were made, very relevant this time of year with Anzac day just passed & by honouring their memory I hope it makes their sacrifice a little less pointless & futile.
    Steve.

Thanks

Default Just a thought

Further to the other postings it might be worth contacting the Auckland War Memorial Museum (they must have a website) or the Royal New Zealand Returned and Services Assn (Inc) and you may be able to get a photo of this young man. They certainly got me a picture of the one I was interested in which was great. Helps to have a picture. I have now met his niece and seen other less formal ones of which made me well up with tears. Good luck and good hunting.
    Dee

Thanks

Steve,
    if you would like a photo of A.J.Hanna please contact me off line at awarculus@extrta.co.nz

Cheers,
    Digger.

shinz Guest

Hi Digger, sorry to have left this, I've had a busy few days, the photo sounds a nice idea so I will email you but just to check, should that be @xtra.co.nz ?
    Steve.