Thread: R. K. Walker

Thanks

Default R. K. Walker

Hi All,

I am trying to find any hits on Flight and the Gazette sites for an R.K. WALKER. The guy I am looking for was an Air Observer on 30 Sqn 1940/41. He would have been posted off the Sqn in May/June 41 at the latest as they converted to Hurricanes in N. Africa.

Unfortunately I do not have his forenames or his service number so its the proverbial needle in a haystack!!

I have only turned up one match but I think he is an unlikely candidate however I would like to eliminate him from my enquiries if possible.

ROBERT KEITH WALKER (40248) AFC, RNZAF

Can anyone give me any further information on this New Zealander?

Regards,
    Simon

Thanks

Default R K Walker

Simon,
    Robert Keith Walker (NZ40248), AFC, mid, cvsa, enlisted in NZ 14/1/40, was trained as a pilot in New Zealand and departed for the UK by ship on 14/9/40. He completed a tour with 214 Squadron, then served as an instructor with 23 OTU, all this between October 1941 and November 1942, then attended the Empire Central Flying School before returning to NZ in 1943, and remained with the service postwar, serving mostly in training posts, and retired in 7/3/67. He died in Auckland 14/11/91. It is obvious from this brief summary that he could not have been serving as an observer with 30 Squadron in 1040/1941, who must have been somebody else. Please note that the RNZAF adopted an "NZ" prefix for its service numbers in about August 1940, and retained this till 1949 when a new system of numbering was adopted (without prefix), with Walker becoming 70077. The reason for the "NZ" prefix during 1940 - 49 period was to prevent confusion with RAF service numbers, a worthy aim which I think the CWGC would be well advised to follow! All the above information derived from Colin Hanson's "By such deeds" and Errol Martyn's "For Your Tomorrow", Vol 3.
    David D

Thanks

Thanks for that info David.

I did'nt think he would be the right guy but at least he is eliminated from my searcg for definite.

I'll keep on loooking.

Regards,
    Simon