Thread: Beaufort I DW824

Thanks

Default Beaufort I DW824

Hello All,

Could someone with the appropriate A-B serials volume, please provide a full service listing for Beaufort I DW824?

Thanks,

Col.

Thanks

Hi Col

1 FTU/1 OADU - missing on a ferry flight Gibraltar to Malta 11 Oct 1942

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcolm_raf; 29th April 2010 at 05:46.

Thanks

Hi Malcolm,

Once again, thank you for your help.

Seeking further comment on the following:

10-10-1942
    No.1 OADU
    Beaufort I DW824

Missing on a ferry flight from Gibraltar to Malta.

Crew (Alpha order):

AUS406802 W/O David Hamilton BROWN RAAF - POW (Camp 344/POW No.27419).
    AUS403734 Sgt Kenneth Trevor GLASZIOU RAAF - Briefly interned by Vichy French.
    656811 Sgt L E HARVEY - Status unknown, but briefly interned by Vichy French.
    AUS403758 P/O Bruce Sydney MEYER RAAF* - Briefly interned by Vichy French.

Aircraft reportedly ditched, due to an air lock, 25 miles NW of La Galite Island, off the coast of Tunisia. Crew in dinghy for 2 and a half days, before reaching coast .

* For more on Meyer, see thread on Warwick A.S.R.1 BV409.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8230

Thanks,

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th April 2010 at 06:56.

Thanks

Default Crew Update

The 'unknown' crew member was my father Flt Sgt Dennis Emptage Harvey (Nickname Lofty) , RAF, service number 185389. Nationality British. He was a Navigator and was assigned as Observer on this flight.

I have some details of the ditching and internment from his records, if useful, let me know although I'm not good at RAF jargon

Regards Clive
    clive.e.harvey@virgin.net

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Hi Malcolm,

Once again, thank you for your help.

Seeking further comment on the following:

10-10-1942
    No.1 OADU
    Beaufort I DW824

Missing on a ferry flight from Gibraltar to Malta.

Crew (Alpha order):

AUS406802 W/O David Hamilton BROWN RAAF - POW (Camp 344/POW No.27419).
    AUS403734 Sgt Kenneth Trevor GLASZIOU RAAF - Briefly interned by Vichy French.
    656811 Sgt L E HARVEY - Status unknown, but briefly interned by Vichy French.
    AUS403758 P/O Bruce Sydney MEYER RAAF* - Briefly interned by Vichy French.

Aircraft reportedly ditched, due to an air lock, 25 miles NW of La Galite Island, off the coast of Tunisia. Crew in dinghy for 2 and a half days, before reaching coast .

* For more on Meyer, see thread on Warwick A.S.R.1 BV409.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8230

Thanks,

Col.

Thanks

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the update on your father. At the time I had to choose between "Denis L. HARVEY", or "L E HARVEY", as it turns out neither was correct.

If possible, could you post a brief account of your father's career here? I notice that he was later commissioned.

Here is what happened to AUS406802 W/O David Hamilton BROWN RAAF, written up during his period as a PoW in Lamsdorf:

"10th Oct'42. Air Lock forced us down on drink 25 miles NW of La Galite Island off the coast of Tunisia. All crew safe in dinghy which got us to the coast after 2 and-half-days. Arabs gave us food and horses to go to the nearest village, where we were met by Gendarmes. A night in the 'Boob', and then to Tunis accompanied by Vichy representatives, who took me to hospital to have my eye stitched. The rest of the crew were taken to Algeria to be interned, but I contracted dysentery and remained in hospital till January 24th, where I was picked up after 'Jerry' had occupied the town. Saw plenty of action around Tunis before being flown to Germany by Junkers 52."

See:
    The RAAF POWS of Lamsdorf.
    Holliday,J.E. (ed.)
    Holland Park:Lamsdorf RAAF POWS Assoc.,1992.
    pp.7,9 & 19.

Anything you can offer would be appreciated.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 17th August 2011 at 10:08.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Hi Clive,

Thanks for the update on your father. At the time I had to choose between "Denis L. HARVEY", or "L E HARVEY", as it turns out neither was correct.

If possible, could you post a brief account of your father's career here? I notice that he was later commissioned.

Here is what happened to AUS406802 W/O David Hamilton BROWN RAAF, written up during his period as a PoW in Lamsdorf:

"10th Oct'42. Air Lock forced us down on drink 25 miles NW of La Galite Island off the coast of Tunisia. All crew safe in dinghy which got us to the coast after 2 and-half-days. Arabs gave us food and horses to go to the nearest village, where we were met by Gendarmes. A night in the 'Boob', and then to Tunis accompanied by Vichy representatives, who took me to hospital to have my eye stitched. The rest of the crew were taken to Algeria to be interned, but I contracted dysentery and remained in hospital till January 24th, where I was picked up after 'Jerry' had occupied the town. Saw plenty of action around Tunis before being flown to Germany by Junkers 52."

See:
    The RAAF POWS of Lamsdorf.
    Holliday,J.E. (ed.)
    Holland Park:Lamsdorf RAAF POWS Assoc.,1992.
    pp.7,9 & 19.

Anything you can offer would be appreciated.

Col.

After joining the army in September 1939 on the outbreak of War, Dennis (Lofty) Emptage Harvey transferred to the RAF after having responded to a request for volunteers.

He was trained as a Navigator in 1941 by Pan American Airways at the USN facility at Pensacola, Florida and afterwards at Coral Gables Miami with further flight training with the RCAF in Toronto and Montreal.
    On returning to the UK as a qualified Navigator he joined Ferry Command, Squadron 83 and served on Beaufort and Hampden aircraft (See Squadron Photo).

Following the ditching of Beaufort I DW824 in October 1942 (see below)en-route to the Middle East via Malta Dennis and was taken prisoner by the Vichy French in Tunisia and transferred to Algeria; he was treated badly whilst captive and contracted amoebic dysentery. He was freed by a unit of the advancing American 1st Army.
    [see photos of i) Sgt ( later W/O) Dave Brown RAAF –who was piloting the Aircraft, and ii) Dennis together with P/O Bruce Meyer RAAF (*) and Sgt. Kenneth (Buster) Glasziou, Wireless Operator RAAF] N.B. Bruce Meyer was killed in 1944 over the North Sea

Following his repatriation to the UK, Dennis was transferred to Coastal Command in 1943 serving mainly on Sunderland flying boats. He spent the rest of the War in Coastal Command apart from a short while as a Navigation Instructor at RAF Shrewsbury.

He received a commission to F/O and was demobbed in 1946

PS I tried without success to find 'Albums' to post the photos referred to above ....am I enabled to do this ?