Thread: S/Ldr Ronald George Taylor AFC (37578)

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default S/Ldr Ronald George Taylor AFC (37578)

Hello all,

I am trying to establish whether this is the 'B G Taylor AFC' (can't find any B G Taylor's in LG) that appears at 60 OTU training on Mosquitos in April 1943 and was subsequently posted to 605 Squadron on the 13th July 1943. Has anyone a copy of 605's ORB and could check for postings please?

His AFC was gazetted in New Years Honours list 1943 while S/Ldr but not sure which unit he was with so any ideas (Hugh?)?

He is also listed in Flight as being 'wounded or injured in action' in Casualty communique No. 41 (August 1940). Any ideas of the cause for this?

Any information on him greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks

Here is what I have:

TAYLOR, Ronald George, S/L (67538, RAFVR) - No.117 Squadron - Air Force Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 1 January 1943. Public Record Office Air 2/8871 (provided courtesy of Steve Brew) has citation.

"This officer has been engaged on transport duties and has flown in the battle area and throughout Africa and India since the commencement of the war. By his great devotion to duty he has set an example of hard work to his flight."

This is a case of work by one of my "spies" being useful to another "spy" !

Thanks

Default S/ldr Ronald George Taylor

Hello Tom,I can confirm that the picture is of my father Ronald George Taylor taken at 51 OTU.later 60 OTU I believe.He is the pilot holding a puppy!
    I have his logbooks and see that he crashed on the 14th July 1940 returning from Tobruk to Fuka.It appears there were fatalities.
    Hope this helps

David

Thanks

Hello,

14 july 1940
    No.216 Sqn
    Bombay I L5815
    Op: Tobruk.

Took off 1730, LG17 (Fuka Main), detailed to attack naval storage tanks. Flew into the escarpment 40km S of Mersa Matruh on return. DBF. S/Ldr Taylor and Cpl Hazlitt were both badly burned. The dead are buried in Cairo War Memorial Cemetery.

S/Ldr R G Taylor - Inj.
    P/O R P J Osborne - +
    Cpl E Hazlitt - Inj.
    LAC K E Webber - +
    LACG Niven - +

See: BLME1/20.

Col.