Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 Sqn crew; Tuck, Pollard, Cheadle, Timperley, Summerscale, McInnes, Gerelli

Thanks

Default 12 Sqn crew; Tuck, Pollard, Cheadle, Timperley, Summerscale, McInnes, Gerelli

Hello all

One of my research subjects is Pilot Officer Harry Humphrey
    Tuck who was killed on the night of 28/29 July 1944.

At the time of his death he was a pilot with 625 sqn who he joined in April 44
    but he had previously served on 12 Sqn from November 43 to March 44.
    I have a copy of a photograph of Harry Tuck with his 12 Sqn crew who
    had been posted in from 1656 Conversion Unit:

Sgt. JC Pollard 14255043 Navigator
    Sgt. JE Cheadle 1128020 Wireless Operator
    Sgt. Kenneth Launcelot Summerscale 1862419 Flight Engineer
    W/O Robert Timperley 751155 Air Bomber
    Sgt. Jack Earnest McInnes RCAF R179691 Air Gunner
    Sgt. RG Gerreli 1387977 Air Gunner

Summerscale, Timperley and McInnes were killed when ND562 (captained by F/L Cook)
    was shot down on the night of 30/31 March 44. At this time Harry Tuck had been
    posted to 11 Base RAF Lindholme.

Robert Timperley was aged 26 and the son of George and Agnes Rose Timperley and
    the husband of Edith Edna Haynes Timperley, of Whalley, Blackburn, Lancashire.

Jack McInnes was the Son of Arthur and Hettie E. McInnes, of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Harry Tuck was aged 21 and was the son of Arthur Edward and Patience Tuck, of Withington, Manchester.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone with any information about Harry Tuck or
    any of his 12 Sqn crew.

Regards

Mike

Thanks

Hello,

I have some bits of No. 12 Squadron's ORB, as I've researched one of their crews which came down in my area during the night 10/11th April 1944 (RICHARDS crew).

I'll re-check a printed copy of what I've pictured, but I can already give you these details. "Your" crew flew in Lancaster ND441 PH-Z during the night 15th/16th February 1944, against Berlin, 1739-0022
    Flight Sergeant H.H. TUCK (capt)
    Sgt J.C. POLLARD (nav)
    W/O R. TIMPERLEY (W/T)
    Sgt Y.R. CHEADLE (B/A)
    Sgt K.L. SUMMERSCALE (F/E)
    Sgt J.E. McINNES (M/U)
    Sgt R.B. GERELLI (R/G)

There's a swap for the functions of TIMPERLEY and CHEADLE.

Same crew, same machine, 19th/20th February 1944 2337-0258.

During the night 15th/15th March 1944, F/L A.J. COOK was the captain, Sgt Esmond FARFAN (still alive, I met him last year !) as second pilot, W/O P.G. MOUCHET (nav), W/O B. SALT (W/T), W/O R. TIMPERLEY (B/A), Sgt K.L. SUMMERSCALE (F/E), Sgt J.E. McINNES (M/U) and F/Sgt R.F. BAILEY (R/G), Lancaster ND752 PH-D, 1840-0300, Stuttgart.

In later occurences, BAILEY is also sometimes spelt BAYLEY...

Same crew, same plane, on Frankfurt, 18th/19th March 1944 1851-0058

Same crew, Lancaster ND662 PH-D (a typo in the ORB for ND652 ?), 23rd/24th March 1944, Frankfurt again, 1825-0020.

Same crew, Lancaster ND562 PH-D, 24th/25th March 1944, Berlin, 1820-0120.

Same crew, Lancaster ND662 PH-D (another typo in the ORB for ND652 ?), 26th/27th March 1944, Essen, 1925-0110.

Same crew, with W/O C. MINCHIN as second pilot, Lancaster ND562 PH-D, 30th/31st March 1944, Nurnberg, 2155-0120. bomb load was 1x2000HC 150x4 'x' 165x4 inc. Failed to return - nothing heard since take off.

Hope this helps.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Joss for the additional information on Timperley, Summerscale and McInnes.

During my visit to Kew last month I just recorded the details for the ops when Tuck was captain.

I have found no reference to Cheadle, Pollard or Gerreli in the CWGC register, POW lists or evader lists so I assume that they a) survived the war, and b) completed at least one tour.

I think that the ORB pages that I have are a little early for the Richards crew.

Regards

Mike

Thanks

Mike
    On Countryfile (BBC tonight 3/5/10) The Gerelli name came up as the Chief Agister for the New forest, Maybe a family link, as I do not think it is that common.
    Regards Alan

Thanks

Default Update - 12 Sqn crew

Hello again

Thanks to Alans clue re. Gerelli in Hampshire, I have been able to contact Ron Gerelli (Tuck's rear gunner) and met with him last weekend.
    Ron was keen to hear why I am interested and what I had learned and was pleased to see that the records that I had copied confirmed many events in his memory.
    These included O for Orange, the Lanc that soared and was never flown by them again he thinks it was commandeered by the CO.
    From my point of view, it was an honour to help and a privilege to listen.
    Ron did describe an incident on 12 Squadron when, with Tuck as captain, they had an engine failure on the take-off run and came to rest nose down in a field with the rest of the squadron roaring over their heads. Im not sure if the aircraft was written off or repaired. I cant find any reference to this via Chorley so maybe the aircraft was recovered and repaired.
    Does anyone know any details of this incident which would have taken place between November 1943 and February 1944.

Regards

Mike

Thanks

ND652 only served with 460 Squadron and was lost on Essen, 26-27/4/44.
    There never was Lanc serial ND662, so I would suggest that all Joss's entries refer to ND562. Someone,in their haste, would appear to have transposed the digits. Not that this helps with Mike's enquiry, but it will perhaps, dispose of false trails?
    Bill.

Thanks

Following Bills comment, ND752 only flew with 75 (NZ) squadron and
    was lost on Homberg 20/21 July 44.
    I agree with Bill regarding ND562.
    Wayne.

Thanks

Hello Bill and Wayne,

I merely copied the ORB pages I have, and there were discrepancies, hence my comments in brackets. I concur with you.

Mike, you should try to have a look at Wickenby's station ORB. It should record take-off accident as the one you mention. Wasn't it recorded in Ron Gerelli's log-book, if he still has it ?

Joss

Thanks

Joss

Sadly Ron no longer has his logbook. They were 'disposed of' along with other items of his RAF service.

I'll take a look at the Wickenby ORB the next time I'm at Kew - maybe the Autumn.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks

MikeW

There is a Accident Record Card at the RAF Museum, Hendon for JB718 which records Category B damage when it swung on take off from Wickenby on 21/1/44. As a result of overcorrection it ran off the runway & the u/c collapsed. The captain is given as F/S P Tuck and no injuries were sustained.

JB718's Aircraft Movement Card gives Avro as carrying out the resulting Repair in Works from 3/02/1944, with JB718 awaiting collection on 15/7/44.

Hope this helps

Regards

Allan

P.S As far as I can see, the incident does not appear in Wickenby's Watch Tower log for that date, so perhaps Wickenby's ORB might help.