Thread: Wg Cdr. W.J.'Bill' Simpson. QSO;DFC. Ex Pathfinder

Thanks

Default Wg Cdr. W.J.'Bill' Simpson. QSO;DFC. Ex Pathfinder

It is with great regret that I have to mention that Wg Cdr. William John "Bill" Simpson QSO; DFC passed away Friday 30 April here in Auckland.N.Z.

Bill was our very highly respected 'Boss' of the N.Z. Bomber Command Association and a former Pathfinder Mosquito pilot. Believe me a great and sad loss.

My condolances to his family.

Digger

Thanks

From Gp Capt C M Hanson's 'By Such Deeds - Honours and Awards in the Royal New Zealand Air Force, 1923-1999':

SIMPSON, Flight Lieutenant William John, DFC, (pff).
    NZ413899; Born Hastings, 31 May 1923; RNZAF 6 Jul 1941 to 10 Feb 1946; Pilot.
    Later Wg Cdr W J Simpson, QSO, DFC, (cvsa), RAF 7 Feb 1948 to 11 Apr 1974, 59814. Cvsa NY1952 for service as Flt Cdr on special duties with Central Signals Establishment, RAF Signals Command. QSO NY1995 For Service to the Community as President of the NZ Pathfinder Assn and Founder and President of the RAF Bomber Command Assn (NZ), including launching the fund and project to restore and preserve the Avro Lancaster at MoTaT, Auckland.
    Citation Distinguished Flying Cross (4 Dec 1945): [109(PFF)Sqn RAF (Mosquito)] Flight Lieutenant Simpson has completed numerous operations against the enemy, in the course of which he has invariably displayed the utmost fortitude, courage and devotion to duty. The original recommendation for this award, dated 6 Jun 1945, stated - “Flt Lt Simpson has completed a total of 36 sorties with Bomber Command. On 21 occasions he successfully marked the aiming point. This pilot has shown himself to be a most determined operational captain who would carry out his duty regardless of opposition. Most of his targets were in the Ruhr and his record of success is an enviable one.” Included in the targets successfully marked, with Oboe-equipped Mosquitoes, were Cologne on 2 Mar 1945 for 858 aircraft and Dortmund on the 12th for 1108 aircraft (the largest raid of the war).

Errol

Thanks

A very sad loss indeed.
    I had the pleasure of meeting Bill several times at MoTaT.
    My condolances to the family.

Wayne.

Thanks

Thank you Wayne,

I will pass your condolences on as this was my intention of my posting.

Digger

Thanks

This is very sad news Arthur. Bill Simpson's legacy at the Museum of Transport and Technology is a very important part of our history preserved. He did great things, and will be remembered. I have recently had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing numerous members of the New Zealand Bomber Command Association and they all had great respect for Bill.

RIP

Thanks

I think this must be the Bill Simpson who was OC Ops at Watton in the mid 60s when I arrived as the only first tourist pilot in the then Signals Command. He was very good to me and offered much sage advice. I last saw him at Wyton in 1992 when I was OC Admin and involved in organising the 50th Anniversary of the Pathfinders. I am saddened to read of his death. My condolences to his family. RiP