Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 78 Squadron

Thanks

Default 78 Squadron

Hello all

this is my first post and as you can see from my login and the title of this post I am interested in anything to do with 78 Squadron during the Second World War. I am currently writing a book on the Squadron and would love to hear from anybody who has any information which may be of use to me. I am particularly interested in obtaining photographs of individuals, groups, aircraft etc.

So if you feel that you have any information that might be useful then feel free to post away.

Many thanks

Daz

Thanks

Daz, Hi,
    Welcome to the Mad House!
    I, too, am particularly interested in the 78 Sqn losses - on the night of 24/25 Mar 44. The Sqn lost 6 Hali's that night (HX355, LV903, LW507, LW510, LW518, and LW589) on a Main Force raid on Berlin. Any help you may be able to give with regard to the places, and times, when these a/c crashed - and who the Navigators of those a/c may have been - will be gratefully received.
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter,

Halifax III LW510 took off at 1859 hours and a third calss fix was received from it at 2245 hours, a message was then received stating that the aircraft was returning with one engine out and a second fix was obtained at 2255 hours. The aircraft was attempting to land at Cranfield when it crashed approximately one mile short of the runway. The entire crew were killed. The Navigator was 1334523 FSgt Shields W.

Halifax III LW589 took off at 1841 and was shot down by a night-fighter on the return journey. It eventually came down near les Hautes Rivieres in the Ardennes, again the entire crew were lost, the Navigator was 1393541 Sgt Dear J.

Halifax III LV903 took off at 1858 hours and was also shot down, however I have not been able to identify where it actually came down. The Navigator was 1563039 Sgt McLeod who was taken prisoner.

Halifax III LW507 took off at 1854 and crashed in the target area, only two of the crew were killed. The Navigator was 1219516 Sgt Edwards L who was taken prisoner.

Halifax III LW518 took off at 1902 hours and was hit by flak on the return journey crashing near Fahlhorst, the entire crew were lost, the Navigator was 138084 FO Lees A.

Halifax III LX355 took off at 1850 hours and was attacked by a night-fighter near Den Haag and was abandoned, crashing near Oostvoorne. All of the crew survived and were taken prisoner, the Navigator was 1564477 Sgt Stewart J.

Hope this is of use to you.

Daz

Malcolm Guest

Default 78 Squadron

Hello Daz;

I have been searching for photos of:

F/Sgt Frank Williams DFM 78 Squadron LG: 10.9.43. Pilot.

F/Sgt Bernard Bolsworth DFM 78 Squadron LG: 9.11.43. Pilot.
    Sgt George Muirhead Coggans DFM 78 Squadron LG: 9.11.43. Air Gunner

The last two were Pilot and Rear Gunner of a Halifax detailed to attack Hanover on the night of 8th October, 1943. Both awards of the DFM were for events that evening.

I have some details relating to the 3 individuals above including ORB / LG / CWGC etc if of interest. In your travels if you come across any photos or further information relating to these men I would of course be extremely interested!

Kind regards Malcolm.

Thanks

Hi Daz
    Just to point out that a thread has just been started by Joss leClerq seeking confirmation that John Russell Harmer who died on 19/07/44 and is buried at Etaples was in fact a member of 78 Sqn as stated by CWGC.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Malcolm, Dick

thank you for your posts. Firstly, Malcolm I have the following information which may interest you, Frank Williams went on to serve with 640 Squadron and was killed in 1944 and Bolsworth was killed with 78 Sqn on 20/12/43. Coggins is actually shown as Goggins in Air 2/5011 which is the recommendation for the award. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of any of them but should I come across any I will let you know.

Dick

I will post on the other thread but Harmer is 78 Sqn and was drowned after baling out over the channel after his Halifax was attacked by a night fighter. Three of the crew remained onboard the aircraft and amazingly made it back to UK. There were a number of awards made to the crew including one of the two CGM(F)'s won by the Squadron.

Regards Daz

Malcolm Guest

Hello Daz:

Many thanks for offering to keep an eye open for photos.

Kind regards Malcolm.

Thanks

Default 78 sqn info

My I ask why you have chosen to write a book on 78 sqn? Do you have a particular connection with that Sqn?

I may be able to provide some info re the Plzen raid of April 43 on which 78 and 76 sqn both based at Linton On Ouse took part. I have recently published a book " A Shaky Do" on that raid. You can send me a private e-mail in reply if you wish.

Also you may wish to visit both the memorial room at Linton (present curator Winco Mawby Rtd.) Also the Yorks air museum at Elvington has a ton of stuff in their archives.

Peter

Thanks

Peter

yes I have a family connection, PM sent.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

Daz

I work in the Collections (trendy name for Archives) Department at Elvington on Mondays. Are you in the Yorkshire area, if not I can't some roug idea of what we have on 78 Sq.

Do you know what caused the death of W/O William Harvey (1078296) killed11/6/1944?