Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RCAF Pilots, Normandy, 1944

Thanks

Hello Puff-of-Smoke,

Welcome onboard !

What do you have about F/O Donald Cameron McLEOD, service number J/14337, R.C.A.F. killed in action on 26 July 1944 ?

Do you confirm Mustang I AG548 which I've put with interrogation marks in my list of casualties ? He's buried in Calais Canadian War Cemetery and is the only member of 414 Squadron buried in my area, although he probably didn't crash in my research area, but was brought to this cemetery later on.

Joss

Thanks

My info on F T Cooke was based on marks that my Dad made in a Squadron Book. An underline meant he flew with the pilot, and an x after meant the pilot was KIA. In this case it was after Dad had been repatriated to England so....you could be right !

Bill Walker, I have a list of serials and Squadron codes that I have picked up from log books. Be glad to share what I have.

I have copy of OPS for 414 and will look for data on AG548 and McLeod

Smoke

Thanks

Hello Smoke,

Are you just researching fighter pilots who fell near Caen? One of my subjects was an RCAF navigator who was killed with his crew when their Halifax bomber from 76 Sqn crashed in the early morning of June 6 near Greye-sur-Mer. They were one of two planes lost that night in the raids on the shore batteries near Sword beach.
    David

Thanks

Just a last word on standard aircraft establishment of RAF single-seat day fighter squadrons during WW2 (and in fact on into the 1950s so far as I know) was 16 aircraft, although often in the 1950s a couple of dual controlled jets were also provided (Meteor T.7s or Vampire T.11s) to enable the CO or flight commanders to check on the competency of "line" pilots. Of course the actual aircraft strength may have differed slightly from this, but generally so long as adequate replacements were available at short notice, the strength would have matched establishment in most instances. However there were almost certainly unusual circumstances that my have thrown up some unexpected results.
    David D

Thanks

Hello Puff of smoke,

I've checked No. 414 Squadron ORB and it shows that F/O D.C. McLEOD was flying Mustang AG476. AG548 was flown by F/O J.A. LEVI who was also lost the same day, but in the afternoon, to Flak, while the former was lost in combat with Fw-190s, in the mid-morning.

Air-Britain AA100-AZ999 confirms both cause of loss, but for AG476, records only 169 and 63 Squadron as units, the transfer to 414 Squadron isn't shown in the book.

I'm interested in any details you may have about the pilot, and the individual letter of that Mustang.

Joss

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walker View Post
    From my notes, AM251 was only coded "O" when shot down, it did not carry a 2 letter squadron code.
    Just found out the thread again -- if anyone still interested in that particular aircraft, see here: http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/raf1944/bromley.html
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

Thanks for this link. The photo clearly shows that this squadron was not using 2 letter squadron codes on its Mustangs, despite what the text on the web page says.

(Can't believe everything you see on the web. I once had an error on my web pages!)

Well, OK, twice ...

Well, actually ...

Thanks

Chris Thorne wrote that ...."The 'establishment' (ie. the target number to be issued and maintained) of aircraft for Typhoon squadrons in 2nd TAF was 18"

I think it is worth noting here that 168 Squadron should have had an aircraft strength of 18 Typhoons but in November 1944 they had gone down to just 6 aircraft then gone back up to 11 by the 1st Jan 45. (Figures taken from Appendix K “The Battle of the Airfields” by Norman Frank)

Motherbird