Thread: Information Sought after

Thanks

Default Information Sought after

Can anybody point me in the right direction for trying to find out about a WW2 Airmen.
    Sgt Cyril J Osborne, 1295241, RAFVR, Rear Gunner.
    i know he was KIA on 09 Jan 1943, i know his crew, i know who shot him down, i know they were the 1st 51 Sqn crew to be lost after returning to Bomber Command from Coastal Command, what i want to know is service record, how many sorties he went on, when he enlisted etc etc, Photos as well if any. i need to fill in the gaps. This man was my Nans 1st Husband, and in am very interested in his Career, even though it was short lived. Any help or advice is greatly welcome. yours, Sean

Thanks

Tam,
    It looks likely that yr man Enlisted in May 1940 at either Uxbridge, Gloucester, or Penarth(Wales). If you knew his age you could go for his Birth Cert. This would give you a location within which you could then bother museums/libraries/hist socs, etc, etc. Less information has, in the past on this Forum, produced 'The Goods'!!
    RAF Service Record can only be given to immediate NoK (or assigns/descendants thereto) - but it's always worth a try.
    As always with these advices - let us know how you get on!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Not with standing Peter's excellent advice, service records can actually be obtained from the appropriate service under the Freedom of Information Act. They cost 30 (unless you are the subject or widow/er), but you must prove that the subject has been dead for over 25 years. If the subject has not been dead for 25+ years, then only the subject or NoK (or any individual with the permission of either the subject or NoK) can obtain them. The Service Personnel and Veteren's Agency website explains more:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Tam,

Taking Jonny's advice a little further as your Nan (you write as though she is still alive) is his immediate next of kin she would have no trouble obtaining his service record. Once you have that, and identified the units with which he flew you should be able to find details of the relevant operations in the units' ORBs in the National Archives.

That's where your real problems begin as the NA is no longer user-friendly in that it charges prohibitive amounts to obtain copies of files by post. If at all possible your best approach would be to visit Kew and view the files yourself; should you travel by car it costs nothing other than the car park fee (and, of course, fuel).

Brian

Thanks

Default Sqn ORBs

Its always worth contacting Sqn Assns (if there is one for the Sqn he was on) as they usually have someone who has a copy of the ORBs once you get his records. The Royal Air Force Register of Associations updates their site regularly and has links to those and sites which have information about particular stations... Try www.associations.rafinfo.org.uk and in the meantime if you havent already contacted the 51 Sqn one email Sqn Ldr Phil Mason on philjmason@aol.com as they may have photos.....
    Dee