Thread: George Memory

Thanks

Default George Memory

I am in contact with the daughter of an airman that served in Iraq in 1938 and later in Malta and she is trying to ascertain his service number.

His name is GEORGE MEMORY and she thinks his number was 517914.

Can anyone shed anymore light on this?

Regards,
    Simon

Thanks

Simon, Hi
    A Cyril George Memory was Registered in Q1 1907 in Leicester (Vol 7a Page 240).
    If that was his Svc No then he Enlisted in Oct 1925 as a Civilian. If it's the same bloke then he would have been 18 when he Enlisted - which fits.
    Looking at the Births of Memorys around that time there seem to be two major places where they thrived! Leicester and Oldham.
    There's only one Memory in the BT Directory for Leicester, but four in Oldham!!
    Over to you!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,

He was born in 1916 and his name is, I believe, George Memory.

Regards,
    Simon

Thanks

Simon, Hi,
    Got 'im (I think!!)
    A George Memory was Registered in Q3 1916 at Devonport (5b 526). Mother's Maiden Name Brever. The YoB would have prevented some minor Wild Goose Chasing.
    I find a George Memory's Marriage in Q2 1939 in Maidenhead (2c 1327). Spouse Packer. Where was this daughter born? - and when?
    If his Svc No (517914) is correct then that gives us a problem with the Enlistment block:
    505001 to 549999 Oct 1925 Civilians.
    Don't know how long that block was being issued. Our George would have had some difficulty in convincing the Recruiting Sgt and/or the Medics in Oct 25 that he was more than 9 yrs old!!! And that supposed Svc No is fairly early in the sequence?
    The daughter might try some 'Cold Calling' on the BT numbers listed in Leicester and Oldham - although there are no Memorys currently listed in Devonport. 50% tell you to Foxtrot Oscar, 45% have no idea what you're talking about, but that last 5% might just have the goods (or know some other family member who does!!). You have to be gently persistent!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 7th May 2010 at 16:22.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,

That has to be him so she has defnitely got his service number wrong.

Apologies on the YoB, I should have added that information. She is already in touch with relatives so no need to persevere with the genealogy route. Just have to hope she uncovers some paperwork that sheds some light on things.

I have done a fair share of cold calling and thus far I have only had 1 person tell me where to go and that was an ex Sqn guy. All the civvies I have spoken to have been more than interested even to the extent that when I have had the wrong person some have said 'oh, but my brother was in the Navy/Army etc during the war, do you want his details?'

Regards,
    Simon