Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RAF Abbreviation Reference

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default RAF Abbreviation Reference

Hello all,
    My airman finished OTU and then was posted to No. 22 Personnel Transit Centre at Almaza, Egypt and finally went to No. 3 B.P.D. (ARP) in Naples.
    IŽd like to ask you for help with deciphering abbreviation and for explanation of purpose of this RAF unit: No. 3 B.P.D. (ARP) in Naples. Is it Base Personnel Depot?
    TIA
    Milan

-----------------------------------
    Added by Webmaster:

This thread is now a "Sticky" Reference regarding RAF abbreviations. In addition to the posts in this thread, please consider visiting the following links

Jump directly to
    Steve Brews RAF abbreviations http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...8206#post48206
    grounded's RCAF abbreviations http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...1064#post91064

External:
    1. Don Clark keeps a fairly extensive set of Abbreviations & other RAF terms etc on the Glossary page of 211 Squadron Website at http://www.211squadron.org/glossary.html
    Last edited by Jagan; 2nd March 2014 at 02:15.

Thanks

Milan,
    Yes it is, Base Personnel Depot.

Thanks

Thank you all for your contributions.
    Can anyone help with an explanation of the role of this unit for better understanding and subsequent translation into my mother language?
    wbw
    Milan

Thanks

Some more I've just noticed missing from Steves' list

AOA - Air Officer i/c Administration
    AMP - Air Member for Personnel
    ASP - Air Stores Park
    CAS - Chief of the Air Staff
    DCAS - Deputy Chief of the Air Staff
    MCU - Marine Craft Unit
    R & SU - Repair and Salvage Unit
    SP - Staging Post
    SPSO - Senior Personnel Staff Officer
    SESO - Senior Equipment Staff Officer
    SMSO - Senior Maintenance Staff Officer

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi,

Very interesting.

I would like to understand more the differences between a Sergeant and a Flight Sergeant, if possible! Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by munro View Post
    Thank you all for your contributions.
    Can anyone help with an explanation of the role of this unit for better understanding and subsequent translation into my mother language?
    wbw
    Milan
    We seem to have hijacked Milan's thread and original question about the Base Personnel Depot and what it did.

Can someone assist him?

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Default Bpd

I wonder if it means exactly what it says (a bit unusual for the RAF but it might) in that it is the Depot where they send out the personnel for the RAF bases. I presume it wouldnt apply to the aircrew but someone must have sorted out who was posted where amongst groundcrew etc. Nowadays its done from a central point but in those days maybe it was done by region.
    As to Milans question of the difference between a Sgt and a FS it was a matter of experience and longevity and responsibility. There is a huge gap from SAC to Cpl and an even huger one between Cpl and Sgt but not so great a leap between the next three ranks. The Lance Cpl rank has been brought in the RAF Regt to get them in line with the army but also to give those senior SACs who were doing a 2i/c role some training to help them with their leadership skills as well as learning it on the job (good for them in the long run).
    Dee

Thanks

Cannot resist another correction: DNCO = Duty Not Carried Out (and NOT as suggested) - this abbreviation normally appears on Form 541 as well as in aircrew logbooks. The original Form 541 (companion to Form 540 "Operations Record Book", was headed (from memory) "Details of Duty Carried Out", thus the abbreviations "DCO' and "DNCO" frequently appearing in this context. Another abbreviation which appears in pilot's logbooks postwar is MCT = Monthly Continuation Training. MCT was intended to keep aircrew current on type and in role, even if there was no other "real" work available, and also provided opportunity to practice such things as single-engine flying (on multi-engine aircraft only!), as well as various route flying, instrument flying and approach procedures, etc.
    David D

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

This is a very good idea. I wonder too if we could from time to time consolidate the content of these threads and add a link to a single document on the Home Page. Same for Form 78 abbreviations and other useful listings for which there are frequent requests and contributions.

Robert

Thanks

Milan, It is possible that ARP means Awaiting Return Passage. I have seen APR (Awaiting Passage Return) on NZ documents. Regards, Terry