Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: RAF Abbreviation Reference

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_McNeill View Post
    Not easily without some context.

Discharge is usually given as a reference to relevant clause in Kings Regulations.

However since he was commissioned from Sgt rank it may be a simple typo TGF/SGT

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../1541/data.pdf

Ross
    Cheers Ross,
    The number in brackets to the right of his name is his RAF service number. Is the one to the left his training/cadet/pupil number ?

Thanks again
    Neil

Thanks

Nope, both are his RAF Service/Personal Numbers and are specific to each part of his service.

The one on the left is his Other Ranks number - this was assigned when he enlisted. In this case it is part of a batch assigned to VR Pilots pre war.

His index card in AIR 78/64 is stamped F in a circle confirming pre war training and registration as Class F reserve.

This number would have remained with him throughout his service, regardless of trade training, as an RAF Other Rank (ACH - AC2 - AC1 - LAC - SAC) and NCO (Cpl - Sgt - F/Sgt). His Form 543 Service Record will be annotated with this number.

When he was commissioned a new Personal Number was issued to associate with RAF Officer service - this is the one in brackets. He ceased to use the RAF OR number and used the new RAF VR Officer number until death. His Form 1406 Service Record will have this number.

Did the unit/posting details you have come from either of these documents or from a summary from Mod or his certificate of service as you seem to have part of the story but not all of it?

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross,

I'd hoped to be able to see his Log book to find out about his career path through the RAF, but it seems there isn't one.
    So, I applied to the RAF archive at Sleaford, who sent me copies of his records.
    This is coming from the second page of his Form 543 detailing his Unit Movements.
    He enlisted 16/12/38 and then called from reserve 2/9/39 - I've just noticed the number at the top, it's very faint on the copy!
    I have a Form 1406 with very little on it.
    Several areas redacted though - hoping my Uncle will sign the NOK form and I can then see all the form.

I've been thinking of posting elsewhere on the forum to ask about the kinds of things he would have done at the units listed on his record - I've no idea!
    Neil

Thanks

Hi all, I was told that there was existing as KIA, KOAS, etc. also KITA - was it true and any ideas what it should stand for?
    My first thought was Killed in Training Accident but I have never seen it anywhere.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Dear all,

I have wracked my brains, but am no closer to deciphering the following abbreviations in a WW2 OR's RoS. Can anyone assist please?

1 A.O.S. N.C. Fit. (1 Air Observer School, but 'N.C. Fit' alludes me?)
    38 Grp P.M.S.U. (38 Group, but 'P.M.S.U.' is unknown. It is definitely spelt this way and not Mobile Parachute Serving Unit (M.P.S.U.))

I should explain that my subject was a Safety Equipper (parachute packer) and subsequently employed as a parachute instructor with the airborne forces at Ringway and Netheravon.

Many thanks in advance

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Jonny, Hi,

Malcolm's excellent RAFWEB to the rescue! See Units at Netheravon:-

No 38 Group Parachute Maintenance and Servicing Unit (1 Feb 1944 - May 1949).

HTH

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 7th June 2015 at 09:45. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,

You are a gentleman sir! Very many thanks (and a note to self to check Malcolm's site next time).

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Ok I have worked out that 2F T S is Brize Norton but what is 50Gp pool. This is all of my dads Service record in between initial training and fledging as a pilot into 11OTU. Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi Diane

50 Group Pool was an administrative holding unit which held personnel on its books whilst awaiting a suitable space on a elementary flying training course of some description.

Malcolm

Thanks

Well thank you that's clear enough now.