Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: RAF Abbreviation Reference

Thanks

Rick,
    That would be "Flight Mechanic" (normally engaged in working on aircraft, or rather aero engines, but could also be posted to marine craft, to mind the engines installed in them, some of which were modified aircraft engines (such as the Napier Lion). MBC was the official abbreviation for "Motor Boat Crew", the trade name for most personnel manning marine craft; other special posts would include Coxswain (Master), and wireless operator, and perhaps a few others, including a sick bay attendant. MBC were generally lowly Aircraftmen holding no rank, and employed on normal crew duties, as on any small craft or ship, but could also be used to man any guns should they be installed.
    David D

Thanks

Hi David,
    that's excellent, very many thanks, Rick

Thanks

It may be that F/M = Fitter Marine? I have certainly seen the more colloquial term 'Marine Fitter' used for RAF Marine Branch crewman during this period / post war.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Hello,

I'm looking for information about mission abbreviation I have seen in a reconnaissance pilot's Log Book. Most of the time the pilot loged Tactical Reconnaissance operations (Tac/R) but there are also some Pintpoints, Popular and V.L.O.

Does anyone have an idea?

Many thanks.

Barney.

Thanks

Hi all,

I am unable to decode abbreviation "A/T" used in the ORB of CC Beaufighter squadron. During a Shipping Recco there is noted: "Sighted 2 A/T close in shore which fired innacurate light Flak." I think it may be something like a "Flak Ship" (?) but can anybody help with the exact meaning please?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

I generally dislike "guesses" at the true meaning of an abbreviation, as some of these will be quite wrong, but could not help but muse on this one. I would hazard that it MIGHT be something like "Auxiliary Trawler", which is a sort of pseudo-naval term, which "kind of" fits, but absolutely NO PROOF of this meaning WHATSOEVER. However it might stimulate some discussion and perhaps will prompt somebody out there in cyberland to dig up the true meaning, or even verify my wild, crazy guess. Somebody in the back passageways of Coastal Command HQ probably invented abbreviations such as this, or perhaps even the RN itself.
    David D
    Last edited by David Duxbury; 9th October 2019 at 04:45.

Thanks

"Armed/Trawler"???
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

David and Peter thank you for your posts. I would say that Peters' suggestion seems reasonable to me! Anyway I will be glad for any further confirmation or another ideas.

Thx

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz