Thanks

Default Two Hampden losses 1942 Bomber Command

Hello,

maybe someone can help.

I'm looking for nearer informations about the following losses:

Operation Essen
    10./11. April 1942

144 Sqn Hampden I AT218 PL-
    Sgt H C Weeks RAAF + T/o North Luffenham. Possibly crashed in the vicinity of
    P/O D H Johnson + Lübbecke. Those who died rest in Hannover War
    Sgt S Rickard pow Cemetery.
    F/S M Y Kennedy RNZAF +

Operation Kassel
    27./28. August 1942

408 Sqn Hampden I P1244 EQ-Y
    Sgt A H Jennings + T/o 2005 Balderton. Possibly crashed in the vicinity of
    Sgt L G Chaston RCAF + Gießen. All are buried in Hannover War
    Sgt C H Thompson RAAF + Cemetery.
    Sgt J W Todd +

Any info refering to the crash site or the circumstance of the loss would be very helpful.

Many thanks for your help!

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve
    Look at http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/general/RecordDetail.aspx?datasetID=583&SearchID=665359&Or dinal=1&Dataset=Cenotaph&OriginalID=22351 for the entry on F/Sgt M Y Kennedy RNZAF one of the crew of AT218. It states as one of it's sources Errol Martyn "For your Tomorrow"
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Steve,

Regarding the site Dick mentions, this should be viewed with caution. It's statement under biographical notes makes little sense (how they got that from the entry in my book is beyond me!). Here, then, is the full entry from 'For Your Tomorrow':

Fri 10/Sat 11 Apr 1942
    Bomber Command

Raid on Essen, Germany (by 254 aircraft - 15 lost)
    144 Squadron, RAF (North Luffenham, Rutland - 5 Group)
    Hampden I AT218 - captained by Sgt H C Weeks, RAAF, and brought down over Germany near Bad Berleburg, Wittgenstein. Only one crew member survived to be taken prisoner. His three comrades were buried at Bad Berleburg, but later reinterred at Hannover
    WOpAG: NZ404070 Flt Sgt Maurice Young KENNEDY, RNZAF - Age 26. 150hrs. 1st op.

Erol

Thanks

Hi Errol
    They quote your book as a source but it does seem as if most of what they put comes from the Cox who went to view his relatives grave .I took it at face value until I noticed he referred to a Lancaster and then I looked in Chorley and saw no Cox in any casualty list for the day. I can only suppose that if you looked up J G Cox in the Cenotaph list you would find the same or similar details. He did clearly photograph more than his relative's grave in Hanover.
    I've looked and the same para is there. They quote your book as a source as well!!
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 6th February 2008 at 21:10.

Thanks

Hi Errol, hi Dick,

many thanks for your answers. They are much appreciated.

Well - "vicinitiy of Lübbecke" was a little bit imprecise I guess.

I've looked at the german air victory list once again. As there is no matching entry I guess that AT218 fell victim to flak.

Maybe the the BA in Freiburg holds the flak report for this loss. I'll see what I can find betimes.

Many thanks once again!

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Steve,
    Lionel Greer Chaston was my uncle. I have many pictures of him and the letters that he wrote to my Dad during the war. He was shot down 12 years before I was born, and I am named after him. He went by "Len", as I do.
    I have all of his medals. My Dad visited his grave in Germany, and I have pictures of that. And by incredible coincidence, one of the only two Hampdens still in existence is at the Canadian Museum of Flight, which is only about 1/2 an hour from where I live. I have pictures of the plane with my Dad at it, and also my nephew. It looks like it is quite reasonably restored.

I would love to find out anything you know about the flight. I believe Uncle Len was the navigator, and the bomb aimer. I also have always been told that that was his 27th mission and that he got to go home after 30 missions.

I hope to hear from you.

- Len Chaston

Thanks

Hi Steve and Len,

I have 144 Squadron Hampden AT218 as shot down at 'Heidenstock' near Kühhude, but no fitting Flak claim. One Nachtjagd claim, by Hptm. Kurt Liedke of III./NJG2 may fit this loss, but I don't have a location nor a time for his Hampden claim..

For 408 Squadron P1244 I have no precise crash location, only 'vicinity of Giessen'. Perhaps the RCAF personnel records of Sgt. Len Chaston can reveal the crash location and cause of loss? There are no German night fighter claims for Hampdens shot down on 27-28.8.42, later this year I hope to get hold of the German Flak claims for the 2nd half of 1942.

Len; may I ask you if it were possible to send me a scan of a photo of your uncle and possibly also of his Hampden?

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Hello,

No.408 Sqn RCAF Hampden P1244 was shot down by AA and crashed, exploding on impact , in the village of Istha, which is 11 miles W of Kassel.

http://static.awm.gov.au/images/coll...25_008--1-.pdf

See p.64 of 484.

and...

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetri...arcode=5522799

Click on View digital copy.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 22nd April 2014 at 09:10.

Thanks

Default L G Chaston.

Quote Originally Posted by Codysage View Post
    Steve,
    Lionel Greer Chaston was my uncle. I have many pictures of him and the letters that he wrote to my Dad during the war. He was shot down 12 years before I was born, and I am named after him. He went by "Len", as I do.
    I have all of his medals. My Dad visited his grave in Germany, and I have pictures of that. And by incredible coincidence, one of the only two Hampdens still in existence is at the Canadian Museum of Flight, which is only about 1/2 an hour from where I live. I have pictures of the plane with my Dad at it, and also my nephew. It looks like it is quite reasonably restored.

I would love to find out anything you know about the flight. I believe Uncle Len was the navigator, and the bomb aimer. I also have always been told that that was his 27th mission and that he got to go home after 30 missions.

I hope to hear from you.

- Len Chaston
    Hi Len I am part of the RAF Balderton research group and as your uncle Lionel Chaston was stationed at Balderton with 408 (Goose) Sqd RCAF I was hoping that you might be able to add some information about him. I am in the process of putting together Crash files for all of 408's losses while they were at Balderton and as you uncle was lost when Hampden P1244 EQ-Y crashed would you be willing to provide me with a photo and any other info you think is relevant. I have 408 Squadrons ORB and it states that at 2000hrs on the 27/08/1942 12 aircraft left for that nights operation. They flew in bright moonlight but with considerable haze and 10 were successful in reaching and bombing the primary target. 1 returned early to base with engine trouble and the one remaining aircraft piloted by Sgt A H Jenkins failed to return and nothing further was heard . It states that Lionel was the Navigator and that his operational hours and trips are 16 trips and 87.45 flying hours. Their mission had been to bomb the town centre in Kassel.
    Kind Regards Pete deb31[/IMG]