Thread: Look-Up Request

Thanks

Default Look-Up Request

Sorry, guys, but this is a bit of an odd look-up request. Does anyone have, or have access to, a copy of the 2003 Guinness Book of Records, please?

I understand that it includes 350 Squadron's CO, Sqn. Ldr. Terry Spencer's, lowest-ever survived parachute jump on record (approx. 50 feet), when he was shot down down over Wismar Bay on 19 April 1945 and captured.

If anyone has the book and locates the record, could they kindly transcribe it for me, if short, or scan and e-mail me a copy, please?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve,

I don't have the aforementioned book, but I am aware that this incident was covered in either Flypast or Aeroplane mag last year or the year before. Do you have a copy?

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Hi

Quote from Guinness book of Records...

Sqn Ld Terence Spencer (UK) made the lowest ever aircraft escape, at a height of 9-12m (30-40ft) at Wismar Bay Germany on 19 April 1945. Spencer was blown out of his aircraft while attacking enemy planes in the Bay of Wismar. He landed in the sea and managed to swim ashore.

Cheers Motherbird.

Thanks

I wonder if this incident would have also been considered...

David GH recorded in his diary ...May 1941 Cambridge ITW....We had an interesting lecture by a fighter test pilot. He told us that when the Italians raided Debden, the airfield’s anti-aircraft guns hit an Italian bomber. This aircraft exploded and blew up the one flying behind which one broke in two - sucking the gunner out of his plane. By some strange twist of good fortune his parachute opened. He floated down and landed on the airfield. More bombers were approaching so the Italian released his chute and ran for the nearest cover. The ground staff were amused to see him dive into their air-raid shelter.

Motherbird

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Steve,

I don't have the aforementioned book, but I am aware that this incident was covered in either Flypast or Aeroplane mag last year or the year before. Do you have a copy?

Rgds

Jonny
    Published as a two-part article in the 'Aeroplane' issues of August (pp36-40) and September (pp26-29) 2008.

Errol

Thanks

Default Lucky guy

Blooming heck lucky he didnt have a landing on solid ground he might have been badly hurt....

Thanks

Thanks Motherbird,very kind.

Hmm, anyone will be able to guess my next question... does anyone have 'Aeroplane' issues of August (pp36-40) and September (pp26-29) 2008 that they could scan and e-mail me, please?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hello Steve,

I don't have a scanner in working order, but if you don't mind digital pictures of the magazine pages, drop me an e-mail.

Joss