Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serial no. for Lanc "T", 101 Sqn, July-Nov 44

Thanks

Not closely connected with the question but as a matter of interest there was at least one other Lancaster named Press On Regardless; ED905 which served with 103, 166 and 550 Squadrons, 1 LFS and 1656 CU, completing over 100 op's.
    Ian Macdonald

Thanks

I guess, on reconsideration, I'd better get ORB clarification from Leslie as to how many of Rowland Totham's ops are definitely shown as being aboard LM472.

Thanks for the additional info, gents.

Matt

Thanks

Matt,
    Having gone through Francis K. Mason's "The Avro Lancaster" and Bill Chorley's B.C. Losses, I'm pretty well certain that the "T" you are looking for is indeed LM472. She arrived on 101 Sqdn at some point after the Nuremberg Raid having previously been with 626 Sqdn. Mason has her as "T" on the following raids,

Homburg, 20/21-7-44.
    Kiel, 23/24-7-44.
    Stuttgart, 28/29-8-44.
    Fontenay-le Masmion, 7/8-8-44
    Kiel, 26/27-8-44.
    Chorley has her as being lost on 16/17-1-45 whilst bearing SR-V2 as her identity. This could tie in with PB399 being "T" in the later stages although, confusingly, this aircraft was also "J" at some time after her arrival on 101 in August 1944.
    Regards,
    Bill
    Last edited by BillG; 11th May 2010 at 12:20.

Thanks

Matt
    I have reviewed the dates given and Totham flew LM472 "T" on all his ops. The slides show only one discrepancy on October 5 where is shows his aircraft as MM837 "L" which I believe is an error given the crew listed before his on the same operation flew that aircraft.
    I also reviewed the crew and it appears his regular crew is as follows:
    P/O R. Thotham
    Sgt. G.C. larkman
    Sgt. H.W. Emerson
    F/S H. Johnson
    Sgt. R.H. Cavill
    Sgt. H. Wynne
    Sgt. R.M. McPherson

Hope this is the information you are looking for.

Leslie

Thanks

Leslie,

A huge thanks for doing the tedious work of slogging through those ORBs, and very quickly, too. The families of Harry Johnson and Bob McPherson (Harry and Bob were best mates) will be thrilled, and Rowland Totham's family will also be intrigued to hear that four of the men who were with him when shot down in the Far East had survived a full tour of ops with Rowland in Bomber Command.

I saw your PM (and I'm not talking Mr. Brown's replacement) today. Will write via your e-mail when I have a chance.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks

Your very welcome Matt

When you PM me, send me your email address and I will send the orb slides to you if you would like.

Leslie

Born Manchester UK, live in Memphis Tennessee
    Thanks

Default Image of LM472 SR-T

Hi Matt and everyone else. I am searching for info and photographs on any of the Lancs my Grandfather flew on ops. Google brought me here in my search for LM472 SR-T If you still have the image and can share it I would love a copy if at all possible. Acc. to the 101 sqn ORB they flew (as"Edwards Crew") this one on 25 September 1944 LM472 SR-T Calais Take off: 0656 Return: 1042. My family only have 1 photo of grandad in his flying kit and none of the crew or planes so this would be wonderful. I found one other a/c he flew but none of the planes they were killled in (NF936 SR-F) on Nov 4/5th 1944 over Bochum. My Grandfather was F/Sgt. P.J.J. Byrne ("Paddy"...as you can guess he was Irish!). Also thanks to all who set up and run sites like this and also the "Commonwealth Forces" foruum- and the people that post to it with tons of information; they are truly a blessing for people like me trying to piece together scraps of information that we were not able to get from family members.

I realize this thread is over a year old but hope someone is still monitoring it!
    Blue skies!

Born Manchester UK, live in Memphis Tennessee
    Thanks

Default Photo

Matt just sent me a copy of the plane, I would like to thank all of you for keeping these kind of forums going and being a massive help to people like me who are trying to piece togetjher our deceased relative's history! We have a pic of NF983 (SR_D) at Ludford, with a different crew, and now this one too. They were killed in NF936 (SR-F) on Nov 4 1944 and I have yet to find a pic of it. I have been able to piece together a lot, then found relatives of all but three of the boys, and they in turn have sent me photos of their loved one plus crew photos. The holy grail was a crew photo and wee managed to get three different ones from Aussies and the Mauritius/French family of the navigator. One crew shot was in a pub, one in a field at Ludford, unfortunately no shots of their plane(s). I will keep searching, I really need to make a new post with this crew in it in case anyone is searching using Google like I was. Thanks so much for this, I am going to email th phosos to the relatives later today: for the 8 crew we have so far rounded up family members for 5 of them, and my email list for those five is about 30 people, so there is a lot of interest! My bro. just visited Reichswald a couple of weeks ago from the UK so I am also about to email the relatives current pix of the grave markers too. ...it is fantastic the help you can get from this community; I hope I might be of use to someone looking for THEIR relatives' info one day. Just to show these things can have a huge impact, the daughter of Grandfather's Welsh pilot turned out to be living just 20 minutes away fromn the brother of the Canadian Special Ops... they had both moved to California over the years and ended up being that close! they have since had a mini-reunion and I am looking forward to the day we can ALL meet up

Thanks

Default Re: Serial no. for Lanc "T", 101 Sqn, July-Nov 44

Just out of interest I came upon a sale on the German net of a piece of Lancaster wreckage. It turned out to be an engine cowling panel off ED659 which the seller found in a wood near Berlin Gatow. The panel had the original markings still on it connecting it to the plane. I tried to contact surviving relatives but no one came foreword to claim it. I did the next best thing I donated it to East Kirkby heritage centre. Anyone interested can get in touch with them. I hoped it was on display but it wasn’t when I visited this summer. Anyone wanting a photo can get in touch with me.

Does the "PRESS ON REGARDLESS" nose art ring a bell to anyone. Logically, it is, indeed, LM472, but it would be reassuring to get confirmation.

Leslie, when I get a chance (I'm at work...must return to work!) I'll write you a PM, regarding the ORB.

Cheers,

Matt[/QUOTE]