Thread: 1st Lt James E Braithwaite USAAF

Thanks

Default 1st Lt James E Braithwaite USAAF

I now this forum deals with RAF matters, but was wondering whether anyone could help me with an USAAF crewman.

1st Lt James E Braithwaite USAAF was a POW and was based in the UK before being shot down, does anyone have any information on this airman?

Thanks

Default 1st Lt James E Braithwaite USAAF

Not much. He was captured on 1 June 1944. Had service # O-886224. If I understand my notes correct, he did belong to 12th Replacement Control Depot. Known to have delivered crewmembers to RAF.

Suppose you know about his time as POW?

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Hi Argus

Thanks for the information, all I know is that he was a POW and that is about it.
    Some of 1st Lt James E Braithwaite's documentation happened to be in another USAAF airman records that I have, who was also in the 12th Replacement Control Depot.

Anything else would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Default USAAF Airman

If you have not already done so, I suggest that you log in at http://www.armyairforces.com/. Perhaps more info forthcoming there .

The U.S. National Archive of Prisoners of War puts him in Stalag 7A Moosburg Bavaria 48-12 (Work Camps 3324-46 Krumbachstrasse 48011, Work Camp 3368 Munich 48-11)

Regards, Ken
    Last edited by Ken MacLean; 18th May 2010 at 02:10.

Thanks

Default Lt James Braithwaite in RAF service

Gentlemen,

There's a RAF connection with Lt James Braithwaite indeed, and after all.

He became POW on 1 June 1944 as crew member of Lancaster LL782 of 622 Squadron, shot down at Poigny-la-Foret, France.

Also found his name as (possible) crew who participated in the Berlin airlift (15th TCS) and it appears he stayed in the USAF, also serving in Korea and Vietnam.
    Gravelocator.cem.va.gov gives dob 26/10/1916- dod 22/8/1996, buried at Boulder City, NV.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Thanks Leendert!

looks as if he was the pilot of the 622 Squadron Lancaster, so indeed a RAF connection.

Thanks

One of the things I have noticed as of late is that a lot of the US airmen who were in RAF or RCAF squadrons and then joined the USAAF all seemed to have 12th Replacement Control Depot as their initial US unit.

The location of this unit? Chorley, Lancashire.

How's that for an RAF connection?

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

James Braithwaite was is my father, he was the pilot of the Lancaster. it was shot down by a German night fighter. at the beginning of the war, he saw news stories concerning the eagle squadron fighter pilots (american volunteer group), and wanted to join the us army air core, and become a fighter pilot. at that time, only college graduates were eligible for army air core pilot training. instead, he enlisted in the royal Canadian air force and completed flight training in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada. at that time, they would take anybody, regardless of education. he stayed on for quite a while, training other pilots in tiger months. eventually, he was transferred to the RAF and trained in flying multi engine bombers. he was assigned a crew, and flew night bomber missions in the Lancaster. when his Lancaster was hit, (on his 11th mission?) one of its engines was blown off, caught fire, and went into a dive. both James, and the co-pilot were able regain control, level out, and the crew were able to bail out. my father being the last one out, was severely burned on his face, and arms. the french underground recovered him, but he was so badly burned, that they ended up turning him over to the Germans for medical treatment. he spent many weeks in a french hospital, before being transferred to a German stalog. he remained in the pow camp until being liberated by the american army at the end of the war. he returned to the US at the end of the war, and was a reserve office with the us air force. not having a college degree, he was eventually discharged. this period of his life was indeed his "glory days", and the stories were vivid in detail. its been 21 years since he passed away (at the age of 79), and i miss him every day. any other questions, i would be happy to answer. adrian

Thanks

Hi Gents,

I have a photo of the graduating class of Course 58, 4 SFTS Saskatoon on the 9 October 1942 of which Braithwaite was a graduating pilot. I have unable to identity him in the photo. Adrian I will contact you by email.
    Anyone wanting a copy of the photo and a list of the graduating pilots please fell free to contact me on harleyDOT158ATbigpondDOTcom replace the DOT and AT with the usual.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hi all, some of the info below may be of some use :

According to the ORB LL782/H took-off on 31.5.1944 at 23.41 and nothing heard from the crew since.
    pilot 1st Lt Braithwaite J. E. (USAAF)
    navigator F/S Davidson R
    signaler Sgt Cloran T. H.
    air bomber Sgt Sterling T. P R159985 (RCAF)
    Mid-upper gunner Sgt Bernhart D. P. R183965 (RCAF)
    rear gunner F/S Norris S.
    flight engineer Connor A. C.

The loss was also already discussed in the older thread:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...Squadron/page2

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz