Thread: F/O. E G. Simonds 47783

Thanks

Default F/O. E G. Simonds 47783

Hi all,
    I'm looking for the squadron number and details of this airman's loss.

Any help very much appreciated.

Regards
    Peter.

Name: SIMONDS, EDWARD GUY
    Initials: E G
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
    Date of Death: 20/05/1943
    Service No: 47783
    Additional information: Son of Major Maurice Hayes Simonds and Constance Margaret Simonds, of Binfield, Berkshire.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 129.
    Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

Thanks

Interesting chap - he was a RA man transferred to the RAF:

GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    To be Plt. Offs. (tempy.) on being employed with the R.A.F. 24th Jan. 1942:

Edward Guy SIMONDS, Lt. (tempy. Capt.) R.A. (47783).

He was orginally LG'd as 2nd Lt in the Royal Artillery in 1937.

Nothing in BCL or FCL

A

Thanks

Hi Peter,

1 OADU
    Blenheim V
    EH464

F/O E G Simonds
    Sgt SK Newham
    Sgt G J Holt

Ferry, RAF Portreath, Took off 08:42

Shot down by Lt W Gutermann of 14/KG40 in position PLQ 14W8835 at 12:00 hrs on flight between Portreath and North Front, Gibraltar.

Regards
    Ross

Thanks

Amrit, Ross,

Many thanks for the prompt replies, this forum is once again proving to be of the right stuff.

I shall pass this info on giving full credit.

Regards
    peter.

Thanks

Default Re GE Simonds 47783

My name is Catherine Simonds and EG Simonds was my uncle.My father SPH Simonds RHA sadly died in 2007.When I was younger I was aware that my fathers brother was in the RAF from seeing photos and brief conversations with my father.I was always told that he was on a plane shot down by the Germans whom thought that Winstone CHurchill was on the plane.After some research I found out that he was not on the passenger list,which in turn got me thinking.Can anyone out there give me any information on my Uncle.The thing which puzzle me is following on from the original thread in 2008 why would "Peter" be interested in my Uncle and why did " Amrit" say he was an interesting fellow?Now I am curious.From what I can gather is that he flew Blenehim Bommbers and the plane went down with a trace near Gibraltar.Which totally contradicts what I have been told.My father never liked to talk about his experiences of the war , and his brother EG Simonds - Guy as he was known to me as was not talked about at all.Whoever can reply with information I would be so grateful.Catherine.

Thanks

Hi Catherine,

I notice that Peter, Armit and Ross were all part of the previous conversation and I am sure one of those chaps might reply soon but in the mean time let me try and answer some of your questions.

I dont think Peter is a member here any longer at least under that user name anyhow and Armit does not appear to have posted on here since at least 2011 But Ross is still around so might be able to contribute futher.

Firstly lets look at Peter's interest in your father. A lot of the guys on these boards have an interest in a wide and varied subject. It could be he has an interest in the Blenheim aircraft or your uncles Squadron. It could be that he has an interest in that particular theatre of operations or that he has an interest in all the losses on the Runnymede memorial. Other chaps keep databases on all losses based on all or some of the aforementioned items and as such may be looking to fill in missing details.

Secondly Armit mentioned that he was an interesting chap perhaps because what makes someone interesting to an aviation enthusiast is a little bit of background history. I mean your uncle was with the Royal Artillery and selected or volunteered for service with the RAF. He was a Temporary Captain when he was with the RA and and made a temporary Pilot Officer for RAF service. Who knows what other information you might be able to get if you were to request your uncles service record. Some of the chaps on here might be able to help you with that.

Third the story that family have been told or have remembered over the years is not always the same as the truth of the matter. I have seen this several times in researching crash sites. Most differences in stories are usually very simple as in the type of aicraft they have been told or the unit they were with and sometimes family have been told their relative died in enemy operations when in fact they died in training. There are many different reasons why this should happen but a few of these reasons may explain a little how your own particular story could have been changed or mistaken.

I hope I may have helped a little in answering some of your questions. I am sure they will have only brought up more questions but I feel sure there are lots of people on here better qualified to help you answer some of the more technical and historic questions you are after.

Good luck on your quest.
    Regards Scott McIntosh

ACIA Researcher

Search for Air Crash Investigation & Archaeology on Facebook for our groups page.

Thanks

Default How do I

Thank you for your help.HOw do I request my Uncles Service Records?I think once I start investigating I will not be able to stop!I have always had a fascination with the RAF maybe it is my Uncle genes coming through!Many thank once again.CAtherine.

Thanks

Welcome to teh board Catherine#

Google sarch for
    RAF Service records

First few hits are:
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/raf-rfc-rnas.htm

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html

http://www.raf.mod.uk/community/support/requestforinformationfromservicerecords.cfm

Happy hunting
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com