Thread: Camouflage?

Thanks

Default Camouflage?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some information regarding the camouflage painting of the Spitfire from 1939 to 1945.

What are the regulations concerning the colors used on these aircraft?

I assume that the most common are something like:

- brown and dark green;
    - naval blue and dark green;
    - brown and desert yellow (Mediterranean and North Africa).

I'm especially wondering about the colors used by the Spits of 2nd Tactical Air Force during the Battle Normandy.

Can anyone help with these considerations?

Thanks,

Fox.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

You are asking rather a lot. There are a number of books dealing with the subject, the most authoritative (if not entirely complete) being British Aviation Colours of WW2, published by Arms and Armour Press. This has the benefit of including high quality colour chips.

The main colour schemes used by Spitfires were
    Temperate Land Scheme: Dark Earth and Dark Green uppers, initially Aluminium undersides but later others, notably Sky. From 1939 to 1942 in the UK: with Medium Sea Grey undersides from 1943 in SEAC.
    Day Fighter Scheme: Dark Green and Ocean Grey over Medium Sea Grey From 1942 onwards in the UK, 1944 in Italy, perhaps late 1945 onwards in SEAC.
    Desert Scheme: Dark Earth and Middle Stone over (usually) Azure Blue Primarily for operations in the Western Desert 1942/43
    Temperate Sea Scheme: Dark Slate Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky, for Seafires and FAA Spitfires. 1942 to 1946.

For your main concern, this would be the Day Fighter Scheme, with a Sky band, Sky spinner and narrow Yellow leading edge to the outer wing.

The use of capital letters is to specify the true colour names; most paint ranges will use these.

Thanks

Default Spit colours in Normandy

Simple question - hugely complex answer! And often controversial. However if you can restrict it to Normandy, the standard scheme for fighter/fighter-bomber/fighter-reconnaissance Spitfires (2nd TAF or ADGB) was:

Upper surfaces - Dark Green and Ocean Grey in a disruptive pattern
    Lower Surfaces - Medium Sea Grey
    Spinner and rear fuselage band - Sky

The leading edges of the wings each had a narrow Yellow stripe from the guns to the wingtip.

The colour names are the official ones as used in the RAF.

In addition, 'Special Markings', often referred to as 'Invasion stripes', were applied to the wings and fuselage, usually in a removable distemper. They consisted of 5 alternating black (2) and white (3) bands each 18 inches wide. These were progressively removed as the campaign developed.

A Google session should soon give you examples of these colours and markings.

A more comprehensive answer to this question (and to some of the others you have asked) can be found in '2nd Tactical Air Force', Volumes 1 to 4, which I hesitate to recommend as I was one of the authors (with Christopher Shores), but I do(!) as I don't think you will find your answers in any other single (series!) publication.

Chris Thomas

Thanks

The contents of the AMOs are given in the camouflage and marking section of my website - www.rafweb.org including a scan of the colour samples

Malcolm

Thanks

Thank you, Gentlemen. I appreciate it.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.