Thread: Bale out during training? A/G R.H.Brewer.

Bill Leyland Guest

Default Bale out during training? A/G R.H.Brewer.

Hi all, I recently traced a rear gunner to find he had passed on. A previous employer said he had told him that he had flown with two crews and baled out of both! Now I know all about his second bale out on 25/7/44 but I cannot find him in any incidents prior to this, leading me to think it might have been a training incident, escpecially as he said he came down on English soil. Has anybody out there got a Sgt Robert Henry Brewer as a rear gunner in a training incident?
    Any clues?
    Thanx in advance,
    Bill.

Thanks

From BC Losses, vol 5, 102sqdn Halifax LL552, ops to Stuttgart. Crashed at Piencourt. Sgt R.H. Brewer was the only survivor, the rest of the crew are buried in Piencourt Churchyard.
    F/Lt A J Page.
    Sgt J Watkinson.
    Sgt R M Simpson.
    Sgt F J Court.
    Sgt R Leyland.
    Sgt E Ord.
    Sgt R H Brewer.

Thanks

Default Ooops,

It's too early in the morning, and i've just noticed that i've given a reply that you already know about.

Bill Leyland Guest

Thanks anyway Alan. (My Uncle was the W/Op). Been hunting for the rear gunner for 10 years (off and on). Tracked him down but he's passed on. Still trying to locate relatives (daughter in her sixties)-Woking area Surrey?. Trying to confirm the story he told his employer that he had baled out of a plane with a previous crew - prior to being part of the 102 Sqdrn crew that perished on 25/7/44. I believe he had been operational with my uncles crew from May`44 - 25th July, so the 'incident' must have happened prior to May. Don't really know were to start, so I thought the forum might have some ideas.
    Thanks again for your input Alan.
    Bill Leyland.