Thread: Course Lists - 8 EFTS

Thanks

Default Course Lists - 8 EFTS

Mornin' all,

Browsing my great uncle's service record last night I made an interesting discovery. Following a spell at an ITS immediately after enlistment, he was sent to No 8 EFTS Narrandera (NSW). Nothing unusual there you might say. But it was a brief stay of only a month, before he went back to the ITS and then on to an AOS etc.

The interesting thing is that his logbook (the A5-ish format 'Observers Air Gunners and W/T Operator's Flying Log Book) kicks off three or four months after his EFTS stay - ie the period that he was at Narrandera is not covered in his logbook.

My theory is that he was initially selected for pilot training but was scrubbed fairly quickly. I've seen one other case where an eventual W/Op had a Pilot's logbook (the larger format one) as well with a few hours in it, then was re-issued with the smaller format after being scrubbed and while re-training. So there could be, or at least could have been, another logbook in existance somewhere for my great uncle.

To see if I'm on the right track, might there be course lists anywhere that may or may not have his name on it that could help?

An approach to the 8 EFTS Association has not yielded anything concrete so far.

Relevant details: AUS412686 RW Purcell -at 8 EFTS between 15 Oct - 15 Nov 1941.

Cheers,

Adam

Thanks

Adam,

Your great uncle's service record resembles that of my grandfather's cousin - initially selected for pilot training but subsequently scrubbed from EFTS and then posted back to ITS and then to Canada as a Navigator (later killed on operations with 460 Squadron).

Course lists weren't promulgated as such. You can track them (a time consuming process) through the Personnel Occurrence Reports for either the ITS or EFTS held by the Office of Air Force History (in Canberra) and also through Air Board Orders (held by the National Archives Australia) [although I've only had success with the latter for courses held during 1940].

However, what the PORs fail to fully reveal is those pupils held over from previous courses for further training.

Sometimes a researcher may have lodged their papers with the Australian War Memorial. This may include derived course lists. Course photos can also be informative.

Given he was as Narrandera, I'm assuming he started at No. 2 ITS, Bradfield Park? If so, what were the dates for the various postings to and from ITS/EFTS/ITS/ED?

Regards

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

G'day Adrian,

There's a start, thank you. Posting dates were as follows:

2 ITS 20JUL41
    8 EFTS 15OCT41
    2 ITS again 15NOV41
    2 ED 06DEC41

His training up to qualification as a Navigator was actually carried out entirely in Australia:

2 AOS Mt Gambier 05MAR42
    3 (or 8?) AGS Port Pirie 01JUN42
    2 ANS Nhill 26JUL42
    Back to 2 ED 21AUG42

Embarked Sydney 18SEP42
    Arrived UK 29DEC42

Adam