Thread: WW2 Station Routine Orders Classification

Thanks

Default WW2 Station Routine Orders Classification

Does anybody know if the SROs on a normal RAF station in WW2 had any Security Classification? Or would they have been what I used to know as UNCLAS?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,

I would assume that the Routine Orders (whether prefixed as Daily or Unit for the examples I have) would be RESTRICTED.

However, none of the examples I have on hand (Personnel Occurrence Reports for RAAF training establishments during 1940-41) indicate a security classification that I can see.

Regards

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

Adrian,
    Thanks for that. VERY interesting! You appear to be saying that RAAF SROs/PORs (in Australia?) were of different Classification even though issued together? In UK (when I was a Branch/Unit Security Bod) if a document (of, say, X pages) was declared to be RESTRICTED then every page of that document had to have the RESTRICTED stamp (top and bottom of each and every page - and both sides if using print on both sides)? If the PORs were not so Classified then does that mean they were UNCLAS? - i.e NO RESTRICTED stamp? This could be crucial to my argument.
    I appreciate that we are discussing arcane niff-naff and trivia here, but I am attempting to accumulate ammunition to go into (the inevitable) battle against a major Govt Dept waving my Freedom Of Information banner.
    And, as an afterthought, can we assume that the Notification of forthcoming Courts Martial, and the subsequent Verdict(s) and Sentence(s), would be in PORs rather than the SROs themselves (I hope 'Jonny' can read and pronounce?).
    Aux les barricades, mes amis!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I can confirm that there are no security classifications on the documents I have on hand. Which is not what I expected. However, the DRO/UROs I have seem to contain POR information only.

Some of the ORBs for the same training establishments are marked as Top Secret.

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)