Thread: Hurricane propeller tip from France 1939

Thanks

Default Hurricane propeller tip from France 1939

I would appreciate any information on the following item I was kindly given by a now deceased close family friend. He was a leading aircraftsman serving in France in 1939. The artefact consists of the last 24cm tip of a wooden propeller. Its black with a yellow painted end. There are some superficial scratches to the yellow starting at what I take to be its leading edge. The base has been neatly sawn through. He affixed the following lable -

"Tip of Propeller, Hurricane Mk 1. Removed by Leading Aircraftsman .........., from the first fighter aircraft shot down by the Germans in 1939. In France near Verdun."

I have Googled Hurricane, shot down ......etc for this period and can't come up with a convincing aircraft number or date for this aircrafts loss. I guess the details are a bit sparse. I appreciate this was probably not the first fighter shot down , but maybe one of the first hurricanes lost ?

Thanks

Not a lot of help but clearly it is what your report, however it may be from the first casualty from a particular Squadron. The times and what where when are all unknown to you and indeed unless you can trace the name to a squadron it will remain so.

Good luck.