Thread: Abbreviation: A.M.W.T., Dunstable, Beds. ?

Thanks

Default Abbreviation: A.M.W.T., Dunstable, Beds. ?

Researching the Danish - or at least born in London by Danish parents - RAF ground staff LAC John G R Elbo (1213104, RAFVR) I have come across the abbreviation A.M.W.T.

He is listed in a letter in December 1942 with the address/posting "A.M.W.T, Dunstable, Beds." From another source I know that he was chiefly engaged in intelligence work using his linguistic abilities, cf. http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?id=23

Would anyone know this abbreviation?

"A.M." = Air Ministry ?
    "W.T." = Wireless Telephony / Wireless Training ??

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel,
    You are probably talking about Air Ministry Wireless Telegraphy station Dunstable. In which case it is almost certainly concerned with Meteorology! Lyffe (on this Forum) will be after you in a flash because he is writing a history of such happenings.
    HTH
    Peter Davies

PS Very early in my Met career I did a few months at the Central Forecast Office (CFO) Dunstable. We were in the very same Seco hut buildings that were used by the WW2 Forecasters! They swayed about in a high wind!!!
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 13th June 2010 at 16:04. Reason: Spelling!
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Not me Peter - I've other things on my plate!

Brian

Thanks

Peter
    Thank you also on board. Well I ment "telegraphy" and not "telephony" in my first message, so I guess I came close.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel,
    Just a small point, but W/T is ALWAYS Wireless Telegraphy; the only TELEPHONY you may come across in abbreviated form is R/T = Radio Telephony (reception or transmission of human speech). Wireless Telegraphy (W/T) is reception or transmission of Morse code (or any other type of code for that matter), and the name itself comes from the earlier technology of the original electric telegraph, which sent Morse along wires, across continents and around the world. The wireless version transmitted the signals through "the ether", thus the "wireless" prefix.
    David D

Thanks

David
    Thank you for clarifying.

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin

Thanks

Default War records

Mikkel
    Is this a relative? If so then you might want to get his service records. Costs 30 but I gather a photocopy (not a transcription) is worth it....
    Dee

Thanks

Dee
    No he is not a relative, so I guess this will be out of the question for some years to come.

I am not a relative to any of "my" Danish airmen, but in the cases where I locate next of kin I try to convince them that it may be worth while to ask for a photocopy.

In many cases they have no information on the war service of their relative.

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin

Thanks

Just a small point. Dunstable was a W/T receive station. It received a number of meteorological observations and forecasts from a number of sources (both during, and after, WW2). For a short (formative!) period I worked there in the same WW2 Seco huts. You could "feel" the WW2 'ghosts' on a night-shift!! There was also a Dunstable transmit station which broadcast various meteorological informations. The transmitters were located at Stanbridge near Leighton Buzzard.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 15th June 2010 at 15:21. Reason: Syntax
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!