Thread: Full name Sgt J E Mortimer NZ

Thanks

Default Full name Sgt J E Mortimer NZ

Hi,
    I am seeking the full name of New Zealand Sgt.J.E.Mortimer 412259 and his service career if possible.Did he survive the war?

Thanks,Philip

Thanks

Philip,

From Colin Hanson’s 'By Such Deeds - Honours and Awards in the Royal New Zealand Air Force, 1923-1999':

MORTIMER, Flight Lieutenant James Edward, DFC.
    NZ412259; Born Auckland, 12 Jul 1916; RNZAF 13 Apr 1941 to 26 Jun 1945; Pilot.
    Citation Distinguished Flying Cross (1 Jun 1945): [485 Sqn RNZAF (Spitfire)] Flight Lieutenant Mortimer has completed a large number of successful operational sorties. During the Battle of Malta he destroyed three enemy aircraft and by his courage and fine example materially contributed to the defeat of the enemy. In May 1943, Flight Lieutenant Mortimer commenced a second tour of operational duty and in October 1943, while flying on a patrol over France, two FW 190s attacked his aircraft. In the ensuing engagement he probably destroyed one of the attackers and damaged the other, but his own aircraft was so badly damaged that it was forced down on to the sea. The aircraft sank immediately but Flight Lieutenant Mortimer managed to free himself and inflate his dinghy. The dinghy went ashore on enemy occupied territory. This officer evaded capture for nearly a year when he was able to return to this country. Throughout this harassing experience he displayed great resolution and unfailing courage in the face of great odds.
    Flt Lt Mortimer first flew with 122 Sqn RAF (Spitfire). Wounded 15 Oct 1942 whilst serving on Malta with 126 Sqn (Spitfire). Member of the ‘Goldfish’ and ‘Late Arrivals’ clubs; shot down over the Somme Estuary, France, 3 Oct 1943, whilst serving with 485 Sqn (Spitfire). With the assistance of the Resistance he evaded capture for 11 months, returning to England on 8 Sep 1944. Died Helensville, 16 Dec 1997.

Errol

Thanks

Do we know anything about his post war history or is he just another hero who kept his heroism quiet...

Thanks

Default J E Mortimer NZ

Hi Errol,
    Thanks for providing me with that detailed information,brilliant!! Sgt.Mortimer was in No.55 OTU and he made a forced landing in a Hurricane not far from where I live and I now have his full name!

Thanks again,Philip

Thanks

Default You may get info

about his life after WW2 from Helensville RSA they are a very active club and if he did belong to them I am sure they would know. RSA clubs are equivalent to British Legion, I am sure if you google it you will find them.

Dyan

Thanks

Default Granddad

Hi guys - i saw this thread about Jim when I was looking for something on google. If you would like any other information about granddad, I can probably help.
    James

Thanks

Default J E Mortimer

Hi James-Thanks very much for replying to this old appeal of mine for information on James Edward Mortimer.
    From my recent appeal article in,"The Aucklander June 7,2012" Peter Mortimer who is the son of James Edward Mortimer has already contacted me by e-mail.Peter is organising my request for specific information.

Best Regards,Philip Smith
    55 Aircraft Accidents Research Group