Thread: S/L Knud Rosenauer Hauch (88065, RAFVR) 1911-2000

Thanks

Default S/L Knud Rosenauer Hauch (88065, RAFVR) 1911-2000

I am a bit puzzled by this Dane in RAF service. I have little information.

He is trained as civil ingeneer working - I guess at the outbreak of war - for a Danish construction company, Christiani & Nielsen, in London. From AIR 2/9550 I have information that he is confirmed in appointment as Pilot Officer and promoted to Flying Officer on 23 September 1941. From London Gazette I have a MiD on 1 January 1945.

He receives (is that the right term?) a OBE on 30 November 1946 for his contribution to photographic interpretation during the war, and service as Chief Liaison Officer for Repatriation. I guess that the first is related to reconnaissance on targets and results of bombing missions, and that the latter is related to repartriation of Danish casualties. But I am not certain.

He is naturalised as British subject on 24 March 1954. This records is closed to the public until 2055.

http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?id=333

I am interested in any information specifically on him, but also comments on my interpretation of his duties.

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Mikkel,

I would agree with your interpratation of your man duties, only his education bring to my mind a little bit different interpretation of "photographic interpretation during the war".

As the civil engineer, he maybe was watching the aerial snapshots at the beginning and trying to identify the character of photographed objects if they are of military or civil use, from which material they were built and in case of RAF interest to destroy them he may advice how to bomb the in the most effective way?

I know that I am going a little bit out of the "research" to the "fantasy" scene but ...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel
    Thank you for your comments and thoughts. I have just updated the profile on my website with new information, cf.
    http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?id=333

I do not think that your interpretation is pure fantasy. He is educated engineer (construction) and is employed by the Danish construction company, Christiani & Nielsen, from 1934 (from 1936 in London). I 1954 he co-authors a scientific article on the construction of a bridge in Southampton.

From this information I would find it natural that his expertise was used in interpretation of photos of targets before and/or after bombing.

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War