Thread: AUS412221 F/Sgt R B WARDROBE - + 20-7-1943

Thanks

Default AUS412221 F/Sgt R B WARDROBE - + 20-7-1943

Hello,

AUS412221 F/Sgt Robert Bruce WARDROBE RAAF, was killed on 20-7-1943 in the Middle East in an accident involving a Kittyhawk II. Wardrobe's unit is given as No.4 Aircraft Delivery Unit.

4 ADU(ME), was formed on 25-4-43 in 216 Group at AZIZIA ( - ? - ); moved to SORMAN (Libya) on 19-7-43 (RAFFT&SU[1st ed.]/49).

Can anyone positively identify Wardrobe's Kittyhawk?

Col.

Thanks

Col,
    Is it possible that he was on Mk.IIA FL268 of 117 MU ? Stalled in circuit and crashed, Azizia Main, 20.7.43; DBF. (Where in Libya was Azizia; WARDROBE buried Tripoli).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Henk,

I think it's more than possible. Wardrobe's place of death is given as Azizi, Middle East (in the titling of his undigitised A705). Not very helpful, as there are quite a few places in the ME with names similar to that. In one source it is recorded as Al 'Azizyah or El Azizia. it is located in present day North-West Libya, 55kms southwest of Tripoli. It is, reputedly, where the hottest temperature (136.4 F) on Earth was recorded. Nice place for a spot of leave!

Wardrobe was originally buried in Tripoli Cemetery, Tripoli, Libya. Grave 6.J.A. He now rests in Tripoli War Cemetery Grave 12.A. 13.

I did consider Kittyhawk ET322: 3 SAAF/21 RSU - Bellylanded at Zuara 20-7-1943 DBR:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/printthread.php?t=7551

But FL268 seems more appropriate.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 24th June 2010 at 12:22.

Thanks

There seems little doubt that 136.4 F was recorded at Aziziah. It was on the land of an Italian farmer during the Italian colonial expansion in Africa. As far as I am aware it was not at an official met station, or airfield (and I can't any possible runways remaining on GE). But what remains in doubt is that nobody seems certain of the thermometer it was recorded on, nor the exposure of that thermometer. The Libyan Govt Met Service has built a new Met Station on the original site. Be interesting to see what max's they get at the new site compared with the old site!! Still too damned hot!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Sgt A.B.Wardrobe 412221

Sorry for the late reply guys

I can confirm that Sgt A.B.Wardrobe 412221 was flying FL268 when he was killed. Aircraft was being ferried (not sure if it to or from) 117MU when the aircraft stalled in the circuit area of Aziziz Main and crashed.

Buz

Thanks

An unusual and odd name - Wardrobe - I should think.

Still, in the RNZAF there have served a Pilot Officer Pilet and a Pilot Officer Plane.

Takes all kinds, I guess!

Errol

Thanks

G'Day Buz,

Much appreciate the confirmation of FL268 as Wardrobe's aircraft.

Henk, Peter - thanks also. (Did I hear footsteps?).

Col.