Thread: Boston Crash at Loughborough

Thanks

Default Boston Crash at Loughborough

I was wondering if anyone can help me regarding the crash of a Douglas Boston at the Derby Road aerodrome at Loughborough during the war. The aircraft had been repaired by Airwork and was being flown out by an RAF pilot. The aircraft failed to take off and ended up in a stream. What I am after is the serial and date if possible. I have all the serials of the Bostons repaired there but I am not sure where I could go to search through the history of each one to find out which one it was.
    Many Thanks
    Keith

Thanks

Keith

I have a note that Boston III BZ217 of 88S CFL at Dishley Mill, Dishley, Loughbro' on 19/2/44. Is that the one?

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Dave - that is indeed the one! Excellent.
    Many Thanks for your help
    Keith

Thanks

Dave - sorry it's me again. I have just finished talking to the 84 year old lady who was working for Airwork when this accident happened and she tells me that it actually went into a stream/brook called Dishley Brook. The aircraft had been named "Queen of the Skies" and the joke in Airwork was that it had gone from being "Queen of the Skies" to "Queen of Dishley Brook" in one afternoon. Do you know if there is any way to check if the aircraft had been named "Queen of the Skies"? Although I suppose these were unnofficial naems given by the crews.
    Many Thanks
    Keith

Thanks

Keith,,

I have no more than that on this a/c. A Google has turned up this:
    http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/operation-crossbow-7977.html,
    look at the entry for 25th Nov., no doubt the cause of the a/c's visit to Airwork.

regards

DaveW