Thread: Welllington Z8370 12 squadron Jan 20th 1942 bomb load?

Thanks

Default Welllington Z8370 12 squadron Jan 20th 1942 bomb load?

Dear all,

This is my first post on this forum.

I was wondering if anyone can help me finding out what the bomb load was of Wellington Z8370 of No. 12 squadron on its mission to Emden on the night of January 20th 1942. The aircraft made an emergency landing on a beach in The Netherlands (http://www.missing-airmen.info/pageTerschelling.html).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

- Elger

Thanks

Hi Elger,

it is quite difficult to answer your question. The bomb-load would depends on:

- type of target
    - distance to target

Generally there are following possibilities how to get the answer:

- log book one the crew members - if you are very lucky some of them noted the bomb-load I have seen several examples, possibly also log book of another airman from the same unit taking part in this raid
    - ORB of the Squadron for this particular raid - RAF Form 540 or 541 - also if you are lucky - not always it is mentioned, sometimes general info for the attack, sometimes details for each aircraft taking part
    - the Group orders sent to each of unit taking part in the raid - here you can not be really sure that the load in your plane was exactly the same but... Those orders maybe held in The National Archives, Kew, London - I suppose some other member can know the particular reference.

Hope this helps a little

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi,
    Not much help but, the ORB will show the bomb loads for each aircraft. I know this because i have the Feb to April 1942 ORB pages for 12sqdn, and all loads are recorded.
    Alan.