Thread: Spitfire Kh-J

Thanks

Default Spitfire Kh-J

Hi all,

I am not an expert on RCAF squadrons and I would need to identify a Spitfire that landed at Gonneville Sur Mer in June 1944.
    I have a picture that is showing its code: KH-J.
    Could someone help to identify that aircraft? I think it might be MH 928, but I am not sure. Any information would help.

Thanks for your help & regards,

Ludo

Thanks

Hello Ludo,

Welcome onboard !

You have posted on the wrong forum. (Moved to General Board - Ross)

It's difficult to answer your question without seeing the actual picture (you can't attach pictures to your message, but you can put a link to a website hosting pictures).

KH were the code letters of No. 403 Squadron.

MH928 was a Spitfire IX, which was lost on 29th June 1944, pilot was Warrant Officer R.C.A. SHANNON, who evaded capture. During the afternoon, he was flying an armed recce and was hit by Flak and suffered combat damage. He went missing near Lisieux. He was of No. 403 Squadron.

May be a Canadian member of the board might be able to fill in the gaps and confirm MH928 was KH-J.

Joss

Thanks

This is my first post here in your forum. These are the some of the Spitfires that where with 403 Squadron, the types that were in service, and there dates. I am sorry, I have no records on the MK IX or MK IXB. This info will at least help to eliminate other aircraft. Perhaps the aircraft you are looking for was a MK IXB?

Supermarine Spitfire MK.I KH-J X4026 (Mar - Jun 41)

Supermarine Spitfire MK.IIA KH-J XP7368 (Jul - Sep 41)

Supermarine Spitfire MK.VB & VC KH-J R7266 (4-21 - Aug 41)

Supermarine Spitfire MK.VB KH-J W3938 (Sep 41 - Jan 43)

Supermarine Spitfire MK.IX KH-J ????? (Jan 43 - Feb 44)

Supermarine Spitfire MK.IXB KH-J ????? (Feb 44 - Dec 44)

Supermarine Spitfire MK.XVI KH-J ????? (Dec 44 - July 45)

Thanks

G'day Ludo

According to the squadron ORB's there were ten Spitfires that were coded KH-J during the war.

The last Spitfire lost with that code was s/n ML248. It was shot down by Luftwaffe FW 190's southwest of Caen on the 28th of June, 1944.

The squadron was on a dawn patrol when they encountered two long-nosed FW-190's at 10,000 feet over Evreux. Flight Lieutenant A. R. MacKenzie shot one down making him an ace. Flying Officer Bill Rhodes was last seen deep in enemy territory in hot pursuit of the second FW 190. He was shot down and later reported as being captured.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Just to add to the list of KH*J's:

AB799 in 1942, but there are conflicting reports on this (may have just been on loan, and have been marked "J" from another squadron)

Thanks

HI Chris,

This is very interesting information but I just have one problem.

The KH-J Spitfire I am writing about landed at Gonneville Sur Mer . Gonneville Sur Mer is located North North East of Caen. It is not South East of Can as you mention.
    In Norman Franks Air Losses, it is writen that ML248 did an early beachhead patrol. You also write that the squadron encountered enemy aircraft over Evreux.
    If ML248 was KH-J this that is was on its way back to B2 Bazenville airfield. Would you agree?

KH-J had the D Day stripes on the fuselage. The landing was quite satisfactory as I can see on a picture. It landed on the wings and the 4 blades propeller was broken during impact.

Do you know where ML248 landed? Would you have more details about F/O FH RHODES?

Thanks,

Ludo

Thanks

Default new detail found

Hi Chris, Hi all,

I was just looking at the picture I have and I can confirm the S/N: ML . I appears on a white D-Day stripe on the fuselage by the tail.

I should have looked more carefuly at the picture....sorry

So for all concerned:

KH-J, ML248
    landed at Gonneville Sur Mer (Calvados) , on 28th June 1944, at a location called La Briquetterie (the Brickworks)

But any detail on F/O WH Rhodes would be welcome.

Ludo

Thanks

Hello all,
    Sorry for the 3 year late reply. I HAVE SEEN a photo of ML248 elsewhere coded KH-J.
    The crashed ML???. KH-J in question is, in my oppinion, VERY probably ML248. The only other explanation could be is, a replacement aircraft.

Thanks

Default Spitfire Loss

G'day

Upon further research, the aircraft in question is indeed Spitfire s/n ML248 and coded KH*J.

While flying a dawn patrol on the 28th of June, 1944, pilots from No. 403 'Wolf' (F) Squadron happened to encounter a pair of long-nosed Fw-190's at 10, 000 over Evreux. Flight Lieutenant A. R. MacKenzie shot one down. This made him an ace. Bill Rhodes was last seen chasing the other Fw-190 German aircraft deep into enemy territory. His Spitfire was severely damaged by Fw 190's and made a wheels up landing near Gonneveille-sur-Mer. The aircraft was written off and Rhodes became a P.O.W.

Incidentally, on the 17th of June while flying a patrol between Caen and St. Lo, Rhodes got bounced and shot up by a Fw-190. On the 26th of June, Rhodes shot down a Bf-109 over Lisieux aerodrome.

Cheers...Chris
    Last edited by Dakota; 25th October 2013 at 03:39. Reason: spelling errors