Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF ID card - Form 1250

Thanks

Default RAF ID card - Form 1250

Hi all,

I would like to ask if anyone just in case have this ID or pictures of it?
    I have some of the front and inside but not of the back as I thought it will be not so interesting:( But just now the text on the back is the most important thing for me.

Many thanks in advace.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel, Hi,
    I think you might have a little problem here!
    When I retired I had to give my F1250 back to RAF - so any retired members should not have one to copy.
    Those who are still in Service would - I think - be forbidden from copying the reverse side (Jonny may care to comment). In my day the F1250 was made of stiff card. Nowadays it is probably the same size and construction as a Credit Card!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,

yes you are right but there are still few WWII examplars existing in museums, private collections or in families. Also I found that there were two types - F1250 and 1250(F). Maybe F standing for Foreign and was given to Czechoslovak airmen for example?

So I need to call to few old ladies here and aske them politely if they still have their husbands IDs to make a visit and take a picture.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post

In my day the F1250 was made of stiff card. Nowadays it is probably the same size and construction as a Credit Card!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Stiff card, not a clay tablet with cuneiform? Sorry Peter couldn't resist.

In the 80s and 90s F.1250s were indeed plastic and the size of a credit card. I assume they are still the same format today.

Cheers

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Chaps,

The ID card is still called the '1250' (the Army's is a MOD 90 for those who are interested). As discussed, the card is an official document and copying it is neither allowed, nor sensible due to security reasons. It hasn't really changed since the 80s when I had one, but these days it contains certain personal details on a magnetic strip on the back. The MOD is nearly in the 21st centuary!

Having said all that, I am sure Pavel isn't after a copy of the modern version. I believe the document was called a 1250 well before WW2, so which version are you after mate? I believe I have a wartime version somewhere that I can scan and send to you.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Default Raf Id

Hello,

Interesting reading ,

What is the difference between F1250 and the Form 64 Airmans service book (I have a copy of the form 64)?

Best regards

René

Thanks

The F 1250 was an identity card which one carried, the Service book was a record of service, ranks attained, courses attended and so on. I did not see mine until I was invalided out.
    Alan Gordon,
    61st Entry, 3 Wing, A Squadron and later, Admiralty Ferry Crews.

Thanks

Andy (re Post # 4)
    Yup, that would be about right - and long before Pontius Pilate had even been accepted for aircrew training!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Alan (re post #7).
    Agree re F1250. From the look of my F 64 I must have carried it about with me - at least for the first 6 months of my Nat Svc. Although I was (after Square Bashing) only ever Posted to 2 Permanent Stations in UK I was on almost continuous Detached Duty in Fighter Command - sometimes only for 3 or 4 days at RAF "X" where they might have been a Met Asst short (sickness, leave, etc). I, therefore used to have to lug around with me this large sealed envelope containing all my 'Docs' which I had to hand into the General Office at the 'New Station'. This envelope also contained my RAF F 543R (Record of Service (Airmen)). My Nat Svc Attestation was on 29 Oct 54. But, having just received all my RAF Service Record docs I note that I was not Discharged from Nat Svc until 17 Nov 56. Although my Discharge Certificate (RAF F 1394) is dated 18 Oct 56 at RAF El Adem. Thus, 'They' kept me In for 3 weeks longer than the statutory 2-yrs Nat Svc. My Human Rights were affronted!! My last Pay Parade was at El Adem. So if anyone cares to work out what 22 shillings and 6 pence (for 3 weeks) is now worth at Compound Interest then we will see if it is worth suing MoD for my Back Pay!!
    OK, all this arcane nonsense is now niff-naff and trivia! But I give it to those of you trying to chase RAF careers - of one sort or another - that there might be/are inconsistencies in the written record. And in my case it was peace-time! In the chaos of wartime it must have been even worse!
    Now I am picking my way through my Commissioned Service docs. One or two rather unpleasant facts apparently lurking in them - but that's another story!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Further, to get my F1250 I handed in my civilian Identity Card and, later when discharged, I handed in my F1250 but did not receive my civilan ID card as they had just ceased to be required to be carried.

Thus, while I have my deceased Mother's one I do not have my own.

Alan
    Alan Gordon,
    61st Entry, 3 Wing, A Squadron and later, Admiralty Ferry Crews.