Thread: Historical Status of Reserve Forces

Thanks

Default Historical Status of Reserve Forces

Dear All,
    I suspect that I am going to open the traditional “Can of Worms”!!
    I am going through my own RAF Service Record with a fine tooth comb! This is not in pursuance of any legal action(s) – although legalities come into it. I was an MoD Civilian Employee. According to my docs I was given a CC Commission in the RAFVR wef 20 Mar 1972. In the following paragraph in those docs the Reserve Type is noted as “RAF RO CL CC”. RAFVR and RAFRO were mutually exclusive! RAFVR required either (a) a Royal Proclamation, or (b) an Order in Council to Activate it. RAFRO requires 3 years previous full-time Commissioned Service to be in it (which I didn’t have!) and can be Activated by a Lawful Order! All this niff-naff has now, of course, been overtaken by the Reserve Forces Act of 1996.
    What does “Mobilisation” mean? A CC Commission could be Activated on “Mobilisation”. Who says so, and what is the difference between Mobilisation, partial-Mobilisation, and a Declaration of War. In the previous paragraph what does the bigraph “CL” mean? I understand that – broadly speaking – the United Nations ‘outlawed’ War as such. You can still have an ‘Armed Conflict’ in Defence – but NOT War!!!
    Where do I find an Idiot’s Guide to (a) The Hague Convention of 1907, and (b) The Geneva Convention (with its various Protocols). I am trying to find out what, legally, needed to be done to recall Reservists “To The Colours” such that they were not simply, and legally, Civilians swanning around in the battle-area, or war zone, in a military uniform! – as, I suspect, I was in Cyprus and Falklands, and many of my colleagues were in Iraq! Again, RFA96 has cleared all this up. The other two Arms (and RFA, etc,) Reservists were in the same predicament!
    Chamberlain could fly back from Germany, wave a ‘Piece of Paper’, but a few days later announce that we were at War with Germany (one assumes there had been the necessary Order in Council??!!). All relatively simple! The UN has complicated it a bit!
    Is this problem (minefield!!) too complex to solve unless it is dealt with in a PhD thesis, or will AHB have a step-by-step explanation (assuming they still exist after the next round of cuts!!!). But before I go to AHB I would like some thoughts from the Forum (particularly Reservists) on how I might proceed – or am I talking a load of ‘spherical playing objects’?
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,

'Tis a complicated subject as you know and I would not even hope to shed light on the matter. Your questions cross international and domestic law and military terms of service and I am but a simple service copper! Nuff said!

A couple of thoughts though that may assist. The bigraph may well mean "Class" , as in 'RAF Reserve Officer Class CC'. The second, and hopefully, more constructive, would be to turn away from the AHB route. They are slow and woefully understaffed and actually may not be the best folk anyway. I would write to the RAF Disclosures chaps at Cranwell, who won't have a clue, but can pass the query onto someone who can.

The Geneva Conventions and Hague Protocols can be found on the net or I bet, through your local library. Being an alleged expert on military detention, I have a copy of the former on my bookshelf. Be prepared for a right rivetting read (not).

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Peter, Do you need to look no further than a publication such as the Manual of Air Force Law, or some such title, relevant to the period you are talking about? Also if this is you, the LG suggests the RAFRO rather than the RAFVR:
    MINISTRY OF DEFENCE
    AIR FORCE DEPARTMENT
    2nd May 1972.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE RESERVE OF OFFICERS
    CLASS "CC"
    METEOROLOGICAL BRANCH
    Appointment to Commission
    As Flying Officers :
    20th Mar. 1972
    Peter William DAVIES (2738248).
    Supplement (LG45661 dated 2 May 72) to LG dated 1 May 72

Regards, Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 8th July 2010 at 01:10. Reason: Extra information added

Thanks

Peter
    He's right it is complicated but mobilised does mean "called up". Depends on the situation involved, reserve commitment etc on how easily you would be called up. I might be able to find the details in an AP somewhere but its as difficult to find as something in the LG!

The situation has changed a bit since the new Reserve Forces Act as before that employers were not obliged to take reservists, who had been called up, back.
    Dee

Thanks

Johnny/Terry/Dee,
    Tks yr responses and thoughts
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!