Thread: Joseph Nadeau, RCAF R/135189, 6 May 1944

Thanks

Default Joseph Nadeau, RCAF R/135189, 6 May 1944

Hi All,

Does anyone have information on the circumstances of this man's loss? Possibly 60 OTU?

TIA,

Mark

Thanks

He was not killed in either of the 60 OTU crashes from the 6th May 1944. Instead he was from No.61 OTU.

May 6th 1944, “During the flying two aircraft from Montford Bridge, Spitfire R6602, pilot F/O Mare George Rivet (J25402) Royal Canadian Air Force, and Spitfire X4821, pilot R135189 W/O Joseph Irenee Wilbrod Nadeau, Royal Canadian Air Force, collided at 12,000ft while engaged in battle formation. F/O Rivet baled out successfully, but W/O Nadeau went down with his aircraft was killed.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Many thanks for that Alan.

If I may push my luck, do you have info on the 60 OTU crews? I believe one navigator escaped, and I've also got a note of a Flight Sergeant Hinchliffe lost that day, but I can't attribute him to an aircraft.

TIA (again),

Mark

Thanks

Hi Mark,

the incident you're looking for is:

Mosquito HJ699 – From 60 OTU ORB; 6th May 1944, 10.40 hrs. Sgt J L T Hinchliffe (1088305), Staff Pilot took off for an air test with as passenger, Sgt P G O Reynolds (743245) (from the training wing orderly room). Engine trouble was experienced in the circuit and the pilot indicated that he would make a single engine landing. He crashed 200 yards from the runway. The pilot was killed instantly, while the passenger died of his injuries.
    Accident card:
    Air Test. “Pilot was making forced landing on drome after engine failure on take off. He slipped in port wing 200 yards from runway. Pilot did not retract undercarriage after take off and did not feather prop. Failed to carry out set drill”.
    Crew were:
    - Sgt James Lambert Terence Hinchliffe (1088305), RAFVR, aged 23. Buried at Ardwick-Le-Street Cemetery, Yorks. Son of Ernest and Greta Hinchliffe, of Scawthorpe. Mentioned in the ORB 3rd April 1944 as “arrived from 23 Squadron to take up duties as Pilot Instructor”. Birth registered in last quarter of 1920 in Doncaster and mothers maiden name Warrington. He appears to have had two siblings, Ernest D born 1924 and Joyce M born 1922.
    - Sgt Percy George Orman Reynolds (743245), RAF, aged 25. Commemorated at the Southampton Crematorium. Son of Thomas George Archie and Maude Elise Jennie Reynolds, of Southampton.

While on the topic does anyone have any information on Hinchliffe's time with 23 Squadron?

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

The incident which a navigator survived was the other crash from the 6th,

“Accidents to Aircraft. Time: 0245 Aircraft Mosquito II D.Z.747 Pilot F/O Milne of 18 Course. While returning from an Intruder exercise over Northern Ireland, and flying in cloud the aircraft became out of control and the pilot ordered the Navigator (F/O Rice) to bale out. The aircraft crashed at Petley. The pilot was killed but the Navigator made a successful parachute descent."
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Many tnanks both.

I'll have a look in The Red Eagles to see if it mentions anything about Hinchliffe's time with 23 Squadron. Can't do it straight away as She Who Must Be Obeyed is currently asleep in the room where I keep the book.

Thanks again,

Mark

Thanks

Just to add some details to Alan's post regarding DZ747 (Although it is outside of my Shropshire crashes, i still took notes). The location is Penley by the way, to the north of Ellesmere.

DZ747 – From 60 OTU ORB; 6th May 1944, 02.45 Hrs.
    “While returning from a night intruder exercise over Northern Ireland and flying in cloud, the aircraft became out of control and the pilot ordered the navigator (F/O Rice) to bale out. The aircraft crashed at Petley [sic] near Ellesmere. The pilot was killed but the navigator made a successful parachute descent.”
    From 81 OTU ORB; “02.30 hrs – Mosquito from High Ercall crashed in the grounds of the 16th US General Hospital at Penley Hall. The pilot was killed on crashing, the Navigator baled and slightly injured his right knee. Ambulance proceeded to the scene of the crash.”
    Accident card:
    “Returning from a cross country at 2400 feet went into cloud and ordered nav to bale out”.
    From 34 MU [Monkmoor] ORB:
    “A Mosquito dived into the grounds of an American hospital, burying itself to a depth of 20 feet in a filled in pit. Recovery of the body and wreckage was effected after considerable digging and pumping.”
    Crew was:
    -F/Lt John Leigh Milne (138451), RAFVR, aged 21. He is buried in Arnold Cemetery, Notts. Son of Charles Gordon and Marion Isobel Milne, of Nottingham. Death registered at Overton near Wrexham.
    -F/O Rice. I still haven't been able to identify him although i know that he previouslyserved with 1456 Flight (later 535 Squadron) at High Ercall in 1942.

I appreciate you looking in The Red Eagles when you're allowed to enter the room!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Hi Tom,

Went through the book, but no mention of Hinchliffe I'm afraid.

Mark

Thanks

Default Nadeau, RCAF R135189

Mark,
    I was researching J.W.Nadeau when I stumbled on this post. Recently came across some wreckage on the side of a small mountain in Quebec and subsequent investigation determined that it was the remains of a Harvard trainer that suffered Class A damage December 23,1942 while on a training flight out of St. Hubert. Nadeau was the Pupil Pilot, walked away without injury. Flying Officer J.R. Cronk, J13469 was the Instructor, slightly injured. I was curious about what happened to these two and this post has supplied me with part of the answer. I've found nothing on Cronk.

Derek.