Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWI & early postwar airfields

Thanks

Default WWI & early postwar airfields

Could someone please help me identify the airfields which the following squadrons used on the given dates:

20 Squadron - 23 January 1918
    2 Squadron - 8 October 1919 & 1 February 1920
    106 Squadron - April 1919
    105 Squadron - 8 October 1919
    39 Squadron - 21 November 1921

Thank you
    Norman

Thanks

Hello Norman,

From "RAF Squadrons" by W/C Jefford (2nd edition) :
    20 Squadron was based at Ste Marie Cappel (it's in France, near Cassel), from 15 April 17 to 13 April 18 (F2b Fighters from August 17)
    2 Squadron was at Bicester as a cadre from 14 February 19 to 19 October 19, then to Weston-on-the-Green from 19 October 19 to 20 January 20, when disbanded.
    106 Squadron was at Fermoy from 30 May 18 to 8 October 19, with detachments to Birr and Oranmore. (F2b fighters from January 19)
    105 Squadron was at Oranmore from 28 January 19 up to its disbandment on 1st February 20 - renumberred as No. 2 Squadron, and with detachments at Castlebar, the Curragh, Tallaght, Fermoy.
    39 Squadron was at Spittlegate from 12 March 21 to 12 January 28, with DH 9A from April 21.

HTH

Joss

Thanks

Excellent, many thanks Joss.

P.S.

Could I confirm 'Cadre' means - squadron awaiting aircraft, airmen & equipment?
    Last edited by namrondooh; 10th July 2010 at 11:07.

Thanks

Hello,

In this case, they were not awaiting their aircraft, they had lost/left them when they left France, returning to U.K.. I was sure I had read something about that in the book, but I can't find it at the moment. There's a paragraph about "reduction to a number plate" in the introduction chapter. I'm sure RAF experts will be able to explain in detail what is meant by "as a cadre".

Joss

Thanks

Norman,

"Cadre" means a nucleus of trained personnel around which a larger organisation can be built or trained. To take a very simple case from meteorology, when HQ Bomber Command was established in 1936 the Command Met Office consisted of just the Chief Met Officer and one forecaster; they were the cadre but three years later, with war imminent additional staff were posted in so that it became a properly operational unit.

I believe that in RAF terms it means a small number of officers and men nominally known as, say, 1 Sqn, about which the operational squadron will be formed.

Brian
    (Hope I'm correct!)

Thanks

Thank you Joss and Brian,

It now makes sense to my current research of Henry Crowe, a galloping pilot who served on many squadrons over a short period of time.

Norman

Thanks

Hi Norman

Would that be H G Crowe whose on the following page of my website http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Crowe.htm ?

Malcolm

Thanks

Hello Malcolm,

Yes he is the same chap that you have a biography of. - Henry George Crowe 1897-1983. I have recently been researching his education and training career. For a while I was stuck in Dublin as he vanished after the 1901 census. But he has now reappeared in Wales. He crossed the Irish sea in 1905 to attend a school in Wales. - "Clive House School" Min-y-don, Old Colwyn, Denbighshire. In 1911, he went to senior school (yet to be found), then on to nearby Rhyl OTU (tbc) After this he became a cadet at Farnborough. At the end of WWII he retired to Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire (near Halton) and later moved up to his wifes county of Yorkshire. He died in Ryedale 1983.

Incidentaly, I have been told that some years ago, in your guest book, there was a posting by his eldest son. Alas, I have never been able to find question or answer. Finaly, It has been my intention to send you copy of my final result. Meanwhile, would you like a photograph of him?

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 10th July 2010 at 17:46.

Thanks

Hi Norman

Any further information and/or photos are always welcome.

I know Ryedale, I don't live too far away and I used to train cadets in and around there and the North Yorkshire Moors in expedition skills.

All the best

Malcolm

Thanks

Default Ryedale & H.G.Crowe

Hello Malcolm,

That training you were involved with must have been very interesting and rewarding.

Henry George Crowe (1897-1983) married Alicia Norah Jarratt (1905-1991) in Knaresboroough, West Yorkshire 1931. She was born in Bradford. Would you know how I could find out where they lived in Ryedale and where he is now at rest? After living in Aston-Clinton, Bucks during the 40s/50s they next moved to Whitbygate near York and were there in 60s/70s before moving to Ryedale early 70s/early 80s. His wife outlived him and died in Leicester 1991.

Thank you
    Norman

P.S.
    I will send you a photo of him later. (via email)
    Last edited by namrondooh; 10th July 2010 at 18:53. Reason: expanding information