Thread: 15 Efts

Thanks

Default 15 Efts

Dear All,

I was wondering if anybody might be able to help me. I am trying to find out more about a chap named John Keyford Keats who was awarded the AFM while with 15 EFTS.

His citation for the award held at Kew states he had volunteered for operational duties and had been posted from 15 ETFS to an operationsl unit. I am keen to try and find out which unit he was moved to and was wondering if an operational records book/diary for 15 EFTS might hold such information, and if such a record would be held at the PRO.

I have had a quick look at the catalogue but have been unable to find anything as yet, but that could just be me.

I was wondering if any members might be able to suggest if a record of 15 EFTS survives, and if so where it is held, or in any members had come across Keates in their research.

Any help would be great,

Johnnie

Thanks

Hello,

Try AIR 29/619, which contains the ORB of No. 15 EFTS Redhill and Carlisle, for the period September 1939 to December 1947 (and after it the ORBs of 16 to 20 EFTSs).

Joss

Thanks

Default 15 EFTS photograph

Johnnie,

On a recent web search I am sure I came across a photograph of 15 EFTS flight hut with aircrew sitting and standing by the entrance. As I have an interest in 219 Sqn and have seen Joss's message it could well have been Redhill but damed if I can find it again!. Alas, can't remember dates but I'll keep trying and get back to you. Also, there doesnt seem to be anything in LG. Where did you find his citation?

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 10th July 2010 at 15:10.

Thanks

Many thanks for the replies. I'll follow up the AIR29/619 avenue and see if I get anywhere.

Norman. I found his citation in the following file: AIR 2/9261
    It states:
    Pilot Officer John Keyford KEATES (113955) No. 15 EFTS (Total Instructional hours 1400. Performed within the last 6 months 365). Pilot Officer Keates has performed valuable service in the interests of flying training. He has always taken a keen interest in his work and maintained a high standard of instruction. He has also put forwards suggestions for synthetic trainign which have been favourably received although not yet adopted. Pilot Officer Keates volunteered for operational flying and he has now been posted from No. 15 EFTS.

I am keen to try and find where he moved to, so with a bit of look the ORb might hold the information I'm after.

Johnnie

Thanks

Hello,

During my last visit to Kew, I copied No. 2 EFTS (Staverton) for late 1940 - early 1941 (AIR 29/615). I found it to be the standard Flying Training School ORB, with entries about the postings in and out of officers, usually flying instructors, C.O.s, admin officers, visits of VIPs and high ranking officers, but not the pupils. There are only the mentions "course X started today with y pupils".

The only mention some pupils get is, sadly, when they crash, usually to their death.

The unit to which P/O KEATES was sent is likely to be mentioned, but it is likely to be an OTU to get operational training. But you can progress step by step by accessing this OTU's ORB. But here again you might find that only the names of instructors and officers are mentioned, not pilots following the courses.

No picture in this EFTS ORB, but I confirm some have pictures of the courses.

Joss