Thread: Service number query

Thanks

Default Service number query

Does anyone have the service number of Sgt F.H. Tyrell RAFVR, please? A member of 111 Sqn, he was shot down during the Dieppe debacle and rescued from the sea by ASR.

Thanks in advance

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Default Sgt FH Tyrrell

Hi There,
    This pilot Sgt Frank Tyrrell s/n was VR1380348 who I have been interested in for a long time.
    All I know of him was that he joined 111 sqn from 55 OTU on 9-6-42. He was shot down in Spitfire Vb,W3814 on the 'Dieppe Raid' on 19-8-42 . He baled out into the sea by Dieppe Harbour and made his dinghy and first was pushed inland but the tide turned and was rescued by ASR launch HSL186 which was then straffed but eventually berth at Dover.
    He was with No1 Delivery Flight at Speke when on 24-10-42 he tipped Spitfire Vb,BL891 on its nose in a taxy accident.
    Sadly this is all I can add, I would dearly like to know where he came from, what his full name was and his service postings.
    Roy

Thanks

Roy,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I can add very little to the story. I wanted to confirm his identity as I believed he may have later commissioned and transferred to the A&SD Branch. Turns out it is a different Tyrrell.

Thanks again

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.