Thread: Two weeks before D-day

Thanks

Default Two weeks before D-day

I believe that during the final build up for the Normandy landings Allied aircraft were tasked with ensuring that enemy air activity over southern England, the English Channel and Irish Sea was kept to a minimum. However, Wekusta 2, the equivalent of an RAF meteorological reconnaissance squadron, based at Nantes, normally flew two daily sorties (1) up the west coast of Ireland and (2) a triangular track from base over North Biscay.

Is anyone aware of any possible incidents between Allied and possible Wekusta aircraft, or if there was any definitive attempt to restrict the unit's activity between, say, 25 May and 5 June?

Apologies if this seems a bit vague but any advice would be much appreciated.

TIA
    Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian

I cannot help you directly, but if no one can come up with any answers it maybe worth trying to get hold of a copy of "Wekusta: Luftwaffe Meteorological Reconnaissance units and operations 1938 - 1945." from the library.

It is written by Kington, the same chap who wrote the excellent "Even The Birds Were Walking. The story of wartime meteorological reconnaissance", so one would hope it is just as good.

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Much obliged Amrit - I've ordered the book from the Met Office library, but I've also been contacted off-board by one of the forumites, Pierre Babin, who has written a detailed history of Wekusta 2. He tells me the unit had actually been withdrawn in March to re-equip, and thinks Wekusta 51 (Rennes) took over its role.

Hopefully "Wekusta" will help with Wekusta 51.

Brian

Thanks

Good forum for Wekusta issues here:

http://www.forums.luftwaffedata.co.uk/forum/index.php

Requires registration to post.