Thread: F/O Edward Knowles Rayson

Thanks

Default F/O Edward Knowles Rayson

I'm looking for details of the death of F/O Edward Knowles Rayson, usually referred to as Teddy Rayson, who was killed - according to a death notice in The Times (Nov 6th 1939) - in "an aircraft accident on Active Service" on the night of November 1st 1939. I have an unsourced reference that his place of death was Beechingstoke, near Devizes. A brief obituary in The Times of November 18th says he had held a reserve commission since 1926 and had been mobilized just before the outbreak of war.

From references to his mother in the society pages, it appears his surname may actually have been one of those non-hyphenated double-barrelled ones: she is always referred to as "Mrs Knowles Rayson" rather than just Rayson. I found his service number - 70561 - on CWGC: he's buried at Brookwood.

However, I have no idea of his squadron nor, of course, the type of aircraft involved. Given the date and location, it's presumably a training flight?

In pre-war years, Rayson had been a moderately successful racing driver, which is the reason for my interest. Any help or pointers gratefully received!

Thanks

Maybe Harvard of CFS N7182 which crashed om 01.11.39 Harvard I N7182 at Marden, near Marlborough, Wilts

There is an accident report on this aircrfat at the national archives

Item reference AVIA 5/19
    Type: Harvard (N-7182); Location: Marden Nr Marlborough; Report No.: W702

Thanks

Marden and Beechingstone are both listed as being in the Devies registration district where his death is recorded.
    http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/devizes.html

You can order his death certificate with this reference:
    Registration district: Devizes
    4th Quarter
    Volume: 5a
    Page: 290
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I've F/O (Pilot) Edward K. RAYSON - 70561 and S/Ldr (Pilot/Instr.) Michael A. AYLMER - 35045, both killed on Harvard N7182 of the Central Flying School on night flying; hit hill and crashed Puckshipton House, Marden near Marlborough.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Many thanks for the help, gentlemen. The Beechingstoke/Marden confusion seems to be explained by the fact that although Puckshipton House is only a few hundred metres from Marden, its postal address is Puckshipton House, Puckshipton, Beechingstoke.

Today it's a B&B - a rather handsome Georgian house in the middle of nowhere! But not all that far from Upavon, which is presumably where they were heading.