Thread: Lancaster EE183

Thanks

Default Lancaster EE183

Hi to all,

I’m currently preparing a conference for next late September at Guipavas, near Brest, France, about all the planes crashed there during WW II. There would be around 12 different aircraft from all nations that fell here, and the aim is to pay a tribute to them, and to try to learn some more about some unidentified.

May somebody have any other information about the loss of Lancaster EE183 on the night of 12-13/07/1943

S/W BROXUP W.E. "Ted" (B.A, 657446) was . POW n° 378 POW camp 357
    Sgt BURTON A. (Rear G, 413527, RAAF) was . POW n° 222673 at 4B
    F/S EGLESTON F.E (Eng,, 1487782) was . POW n°83711. POW camp 4B
    Sgt HOWE Reginald Alexander Arthur (W.Op, 1290429, or 1367393) was 21 . POW n° 401 at 357. Born on 4th Nov. 1922, died on 19 Fef 2004.(death record via Mike Sadler)
    F/S MALONEY Mike J. (Nav, 1031746) was . POW n° 409 POW camp 357
    Sgt PARKER Robert "Bob" (Mid upper gun, 1585987) was . POW n° 418 at 357
    F/S SADLER Anthony Graham "Tony" (Pilot, 148132) was . POW n° 1334 at camp L3.
    The whole crew captured and POW

What I have, landing site know, Guipavas airfield, crew picture (contact with the son of the pilot)
    What I’m looking for, picture of the plane or a « big »of another 100 Sqn Lancaster, why not another of the crew or of some members, ORB form 540/541, road followed by aircraft, at least on its way to the target…

Thanks for your help
    Regards
    Gildas

Thanks

Default 100 Sqn Assn

From the RAFRA site try:
    100 Squadron Secretary Dr Keith Ellis PhD, 20 Napoleon Drive, Bicton Heath, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY3 5PH: tel 01743 360810:
    rk.ellis AT tiscali.co.uk: website http://www.100squadronassociation.org.uk/

Dee

Thanks

Thanks Dee, will try to join them
    Regards
    Gildas

Thanks

Gildas - did you ever get your ORB copies or photo? Let me know if you didn't and i'll help you out :)
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Hello Greg,

Thans for that offer.No, I never had any ORB for that date. If you may share some you would already have on your computer, it would of course be of interest.
    Finally the conference turned out very well with around 70 people for a particular subject limited to only one commune, Guipavas. The only « bad thing », unfortunately no new account that day
    The following day with the son of Tony Sadler, who should be the only one to have landed an allied plane on Guipavas airfield in WWII, was also good. We visited remains of the nearest former flak battery, went on the airfield with the help of the Gendarmerie, around it just after to locate another former german place, and even flew above on board a plane of the flying Club Robin DR46, to end with a witness meeting.
    But if his father would have taken pictures of the crew near the airplane, according to the only survivor of the crew today, his son has none of EE183, and the crew picture was not exactly the one who did that night that mission on Turin, so F/S EGLESTON F.E (« Paddy » ?) doesn’t appear on it.

Cheers
    Gildas

Thanks

Default 100 Sqn query

Greg Dont know if you can help but my Sgt is trying workout what Operations a FS S C Smith (Air Gunner) did on 100 Sqn. Is there any chance you could check the ORBs for Feb to Aug 1944 to see if you can find that information. There is a thread about him and it says (from one of the other experts on here) that he flew with Sgt Arthur Dawson and then with Sgt (later P/O) Jack Littlewood. Would you be able to say when he actually arrived on Sqn and left?

Would really appreciate copies of the entries if possible as Ivan is very curious about him :)

Dee