Thread: 29-01-44 183 Sqn Lovell and Smith

Thanks

Default 29-01-44 183 Sqn Lovell and Smith

Hi to all,

I’m currently preparing a conference for next late September at Guipavas, near Brest, France, about all the planes crashed there during WW II. There would be around 12 different aircraft from all nations that fell here, and the aim is to pay a tribute to them, and to try to learn some more about some unidentified.

May somebody have any other information about the loss of the two 183 Sqn Typhoon pilots shot down by Flak on 29/01/44 ?

Fl. Lt. LOVELL Stuart James ? (Pilot, 107258, RAFVR) was 27. KIA. Son of Stuart C. Anthony and Clare Mary Lovell, of Portrush, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland; husband of Alicia Lovell, of Epsom, Surrey. His brother, Wing. Cdr. Anthony Desmond Lovell, D.S.O. and Bar, D.F.C. and Bar, D.F.C. (American), also died on service. ( + Plot 46. Row 11. Grave 2 Kerf., Brest)
    Sgt. SMITH Sydney William ? (Pilot, 1394048, RAFVR) was 23 KIA Son of Sidney Walter and Annie Smith, of Hempstead, Kent. (+ Plot 46. Row 11. Grave 1 Kerf., Brest)

What I have : Knowing both crash sites, I never was able to prove which one crashed where. One crashed on the west part of the airfield (crash site today covered by the new terminal), the other one on Plabennec, north of the airfield.
    Account of somebody who stood in the german aid post that the 20 mm shells teared the walls at 1,5 meter from the ground. Stuck to the ground, he survived.
    What I’m looking for, pictures of Fl. Lt. LOVELL Stuart James and Sgt. SMITH Sydney William, picture of their planes plane or a « big »of another 183 Sqn Typhoon, …

Thanks for your help
    Regards
    Gildas

Thanks

Please see your PMs
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi Gildas ,

Stuart Lovell was flying with 257 Squadron in 1943. There's a well known group picture in colour with Lovell ( see Typhoon in Atlas special Mach1 page 19 , standing 2nd from left).
    Hope this help a little.

Zorglub

Thanks

Thanks Zorglub for this information, I just was forwarded a picture that should be this one. Very nice.

Gildas

Thanks

Hi Gildas

I have the following on Stuart Lovell.

Nationality: Irish. Rank: Sgt, P/O - 20th January 1942.

Squadron: 263. In: 16th December 1941 from 55 OTU. Out: 22nd April 1943 Posted. First Op: 16th February 1942. Hours: 90.22+. Sorties: 83+. Remarks: Attached to 2 Delivery Flight, posted to 51 OTU then back to 263.

Posted to 257 Typhoon Squadron then 183. Shot down by flak over Guipavas aerodrome on 29th January 1944 in Typhoon MM970.

Aged 27 he was the son of Stuart C. Anthony & Clare Mary Lovell of Portrush, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, and husband of Alicia Lovell of Epsom, Surrey. He is buried in Brest (Kerfantras) Cemetery, Lambezellec, Finistere, France. His brother W/C Anthony Desmond Lovell DSO & Bar, DFC & Bar, DFC (US) was also killed on active service.

I also I have copies of two photos while Stuart was serving with 263 Squadron. One is a well known photo of the squadron taken in early 1942 and the other is a portrait photo.

Kind regards.

Paul

Thanks

Hi Paul,
    Thanks a lot for this addition. With the colour picture of this pilot when belonging to the 257 Sqn, I’ve been forwarded probably the two other picture you mentioned. But for the moment, all are very small pictures, in fact too small I think to be projected on a big screen.
    May I send to you a PM in early September, in the case I didn’t get them in a higher resolution, this, supposing you have « good » pictures ?

Best regards
    Gildas

Thanks

Hi Gildas

Please send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send them to you and your can check on the resolution for yourself. If they're suitable you'll have what you need, if not you'll still have some time to look further afield.

Kind regards.

Paul

Thanks

Hi
    found some info whilst browsing an old CD.

1394048 Flight Sergeant Sidney William SMITH was in JP973 HF-E.

Lovell Killed with wingman at Brest, 29 January 1944, while beating up Guipavas airfield at zero feet for second time in 20 minutes (seriously against regulations).
    Flew into roof of storage building and crashed on dry fuel store. Attack resulted in serious injuries to a farmer's horse and put several holes in Plabannec water tower. Buried by Germans with military honours. War grave in Kerfautras cemetery.

Stuart Lovell was born in Ceylon in 1916, son of teaplanter Stuart Lovell and his wife Clare ("Cherub") nee O'Neill of Portrush. Educ. Ampleforth. Teaplanter, Ceylon.

Commissioned as Pilot Officer 20 Sept.1940. Married Alicia Montagu
    21 Sept. 1940.

His brother, Wing. Cdr.
    Anthony Desmond Lovell, D.S.O. and Bar, D.F.C. and Bar, D.F.C. (American), also died on service.

unsure of source but it seems to be in answer to a request for info from a Warwick Montagu ( son of alicia ?) around about dec 2002 on a discussion board.

cheers
    Jerry

Thanks

Hi Jerry,
    Thanks a lot. Some of this information I still didn’t have.
    Thanks for all the trouble.

Cheers
    Gildas