Thread: F/Lt RUMBLE F. D, 04/07/1944

Thanks

Default F/Lt RUMBLE F. D, 04/07/1944

Hi to all,

I’m currently preparing a conference for next late September at Guipavas, near Brest, France, about all the planes crashed there during WW II. There would be around 12 different aircraft from all nations that fell here, and the aim is to pay a tribute to them, and to try to learn some more about some unidentified.

May somebody have any other information about the loss of F/Lt RUMBLE F. D., pilot of 234 Sqn RAF/FC Spitfire Vb BL233 on 04/07/1944.
    What I already know is the following :
    Rhubarb 304, pm. Hit by Flak over Pleuigneau (Plouïgneau near Morlaix?); Baled out (FCL, Norman Franks)
    Hit by Flak and abandoned Plouenventer (Plounéventer ?)
    (http://www.spitfires.ukf.net/p023.htm)

But a french archive gives the following :

Brest, 7 July 1944, Subject : Fall of aircraft at Guipavas.
    (…) to inform you that an english plane was shot down by the Flak on the 4th of July, near 12h30, on Guipavas airfield. A lone airman was on board and was captured.

Would somebody own his POW questionnaire ? or know more ? First names ?

What I’m also looking for, picture of the plane or a « big »of another 234 Sqn Spitfire, of F/Lt RUMBLE, ORB form 540/541, …

Without talking about the american and german planes, it would be over for english ones. Each document or picture will be displayed on a big screen, the reason for my will of « big » documents.

Thanks for your help
    Regards
    Gildas

Thanks

I have the wartime diary of a 234 Squadron pilot (Stan Farmiloe) who refers to F/L Rumble as Freddie.

Not much I'm afraid, but I hope this helps a bit.

Peter

Thanks

Certainly a good start ! It helps.
    Thanks Peter

Thanks

I looked for him on Ancestry.com

found this shipping record:
    Name: Francis Denis Rumble
    Arrival Date: 24 Aug 1941
    Birth Date: abt 1917
    Birthplace: London
    Birth Country: England
    Race/Nationality: English
    Port of Arrival: Detroit, Michigan

His arival card says he is on his way to 5 EATS at Arcadia, Florida for aircrew training.

I'd imagine this is him.

I cannot see his name in the England, Wales death indexes up to 2005. Only one birth matching Francis D Rumble in 1917, three marriages with that name around the war time. If the 1917 birth was him then he had maybe 7 brothers and sisters.

You might check the www.BT.com online phone book for Rumble's in the Romford area of England.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 21st July 2010 at 20:53. Reason: missing letter I
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

A history of 234 Squadron was published in 2007. It was called Dragon Rampant and was by Nigel Walpole (Merlin Massara Publishing). Unfortunately I don't have a copy but it might contain some information on F/L Rumble.

Peter

Thanks

Thanks a lot Dennis and Peter,

If Freddie was his nickname, his first name should have been Frederick and not Francis, is this correct ? And on the shipping record, « Dens » in « Francis Dens Rumble » would stand for Dennis I suppose, or would it be a known first name in english ?
    Anyway, I’ll try and call several « Rumble », as I found a good number of them around Romford.
    I may also make a new post in the case one member would have this book and could have a look at it at least for July 1944. A fast search on the web with the name of the book and « Rumble » didn’t provide anything.

Thanks again
    Gildas

Thanks

The name is Denis on the shipping record, I missed out the leter I when typing.

The only F D Rumble I found which matches up in the London Gazette is Francis Denis Rumble.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks Dennis,
    I do take note of « Denis » instead of « Dens ». I called a few people but with no luck so far. Keep on trying.
    Thanks again for all the trouble.
    Gildas