Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film 'Target for Tonight' cast list

Thanks

Default Film 'Target for Tonight' cast list

Hi All,

For pure curiosity's sake I wondered if any forum members could cast any light as to names and/or ranks of any of the RAF actors in the film 'Target for Tonight' (1941).

Apart from the obvious Pickard and 'Speedy' Powell does anyone know any other names or for that matter any a/c serials of the Wellingtons involved.

Many thanks in advance,

Russ

Thanks

Russ,

I believe there was a small Ministry of Information booklet of the same title of the film published during the war that may have your answer.

Looked through all my copies of MoI booklets I collected at the time of publication, but no luck.

Chee,

Digger

Thanks

Russ

This is a review of the DVD offered by Amazon.co.uk ---

"This review is from: Target For Tonight (Collector's Edition) IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM (DVD)
    This Collector's Edition DVD from the Imperial War Museum is not to be confused with
    the "Target for Tonight" DVD produced in 2004 Target For Tonight [DVD]
    The Imperial War Museum's DVD contains only the original footage that was made at a time when we were losing the War in 1941 and 1942.
    The title is taken from the 1941 information film "Target for Tonight" made by the Crown Film Unit, a documentary film about a raid on Freihausen after reconnaisance photographs showed a build up of rail and canal works with oil installations. The film concentrates on a Wellington bomber "F for Freddie". No actors were used in the entire film only those RAF personnel who were involved in the orgainsing and carrying out of this raid. Voted "Best Documemtary" by the National Board of Review in 1941, the film won an honorary Academy Award in 1942.
    The remainder of the DVD includes training films for the Wellington bomber; how a bomber was built in less than 30 hours in workers spare time; and a shorter version of Target for Tonight.
    Bonuses include - Newsreel footage of the bombing raids on St Malo docks using Bostons and heavy bombers on Bremen, also the Mosquito raid on Amiens prison; a Pathe report on the RAF raids on Cologne and the Ruhr, and the Luffewaffe raid on Canterbury."

Anne

Thanks

Thanks Anne and Digger,

I have the DVD, in fact I was watching it last night which provoked the question. I was interested to know if any names could be attributed to the cast apart from Pickard and Powell.

I have seen the small booklet but never had a chance to read it. They seem to be very rare and difficult to get hold of and as far as I know never have been re-published.

Russ

Thanks

Hi Russ, I think I have somewhere the booklet. If I will be able to find it I will check it out.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Russ,

One of the Sergeants in the F for Freddie crew looks very much like Gordon Jackson, who later starred in Upstairs Downstairs and The Professionals.
    According to the many biographies on the net he didn't make his film debut until the following year in 'The Foreman Went To France' so maybe it wasn't him, and of course the 'actors' were serving airmen, although Jackson was a draughtsman at Rolls-Royce.

The film can be seen on Google videos -
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8431303064260070573#

Jim.

Thanks

I have the booklet, Target for Tonight, published by Hutchinson, price 6d.

It identifies no-one. Annoyingly, I cannot find some correspondence I had years ago about the crew of F for Freddy, which provided all the names. But my memory dimly recalls that the rear gunner was a New Zealander named Harris, who survived the war.

David

Thanks

Further to that, the Observer's name was Gordon Woollatt.

David

Thanks

Thanks Jim and David,

Now you mention it Gordon Woollatt rings a bell with me. I can also remember a series called 'The Secret War' where William Woollard interviews a crew menber of Pickards, a navigator I believe but I can't remember if he was in the film. He also mentioned in that same series the neither 'F' Freddy or the crew survived the war. Since I cannot find Woollatts name on the CWGC website it seems at least he did.

Jim, I can see what you mean about one of the sergeants looking like Gordon Jackson but I don't think its him. Also I don't think he ever served as aircrew.

Russ

Thanks

Just in case --- film reviews but no help with castings
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121791/
    http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/577991/index.html

Google -Wikipedia [if true ?] & above sites
    Production
    The film was shot at RAF Mildenhall and at the real RAF Bomber Command headquarters in High Wycombe[1] with the then-current head of Bomber Command Sir Richard Peirse appearing in the film. Squadron Leader Dickson, the captain of 'F for Freddie', was played by Percy Pickard, who went on to lead the real-life Operation Biting and the later Operation Jericho raid on Amiens Prison. The second pilot was played by Gordon Woollatt. Although the film was about a bomber squadron flying Wellingtons the aircraft shown on the movie poster are actually Boulton Paul Defiant fighters.

This are 2 video excerpts on google .

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 23rd July 2010 at 11:11.