Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RAF Hinaidi

Thanks

Default RAF Hinaidi

A little complicated – I have little interest in the RAF nor actual aircraft – however, my purpose for writing to this Forum is that a short while ago I inherited a large number of photographs from my uncle (he died in approx 1975)
    During the years 1925 – 1929 he was serving in the RAF and posted to RAF Hinaidi (Iraq)
    I now have the photographs – which include many aircraft and fellow RAF personnel - the collection also has the Dinner menu for Christmas 1927 – autographed by those who attended.
    Therefore it seems a travesty not to offer copies of the collection to those who may have relatives – who served in Hinaidi during those years.
    Should anyone like a list – or details of the photographs – then please contact me.
    Otherwise if anyone could suggest a more appropriate ‘site’ – then I would welcome any suggestions.
    Thanks

Jeff

Thanks

Hi Jeff and thanks for the offer. Another forum which I think would be very interested is the Key Publishing Forum at http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4 . Historical photos such as you describe are posted there from time to time and nearly always excite considerable discussion.

Brian

Thanks

Default RAF Museum

If noone takes you up on your offer I am sure the RAF Museum at Hendon would love to have them so if anyone contacts them they can offer them copies. Good of you to do this rather than just sell them!
    Dee

Thanks

Jeff

I agree with Brian/Lyffe that the Flypast forum is a good place to make your announcement. It might help, if you have the time, to upload the photos to a site such as Photobucket and then post the link to your album here or wherever else that you are recommended.

I am sorry to contradict Dee/Oggie2620 but I (for one) would not recommend that you offer them to the RAF Museum. Yes, they will be very pleased to have them but, once they are in there, your photos are not likely to ever see the light of day again. The RAFM does not have the resources to properly support the archives that they hold and if any researcher did happen to find your photos there the RAFM does not have the resources to provide copies to the casual enquirer or they will only provide copies at a pretty serious price.

Steve

Thanks

Hi Jeff

I am always happy to add photos to my website to illustrate relevant units if you are prepared to permit me.

Malcolm

www.rafweb.org

Thanks

Default Hinaidi

What I do not want is for the photos to be lost in some archive - nor do I wish to sell them.

I would much rather copy them to people who care about their family history and have relatives who served there.

The sad thing is that there are so many photos of my uncle and his friends that perhaps it is no longer possible to 'connect' the names and faces.

So I ask that some researcher (who will not SELL them) uses them for good and honest purpose.

I know that I am not an RAF nor aircraft person - but the photos are still in very good condition and deserve to be "given to those who have such an interest"

Regards

Jeff

Ps I do not find this site very easy to navigate

Thanks

Default Hinaidi (again)

If some-one would please explain how I can upload some of the photos etc - then I will be happy to show some of the many photos from my Uncle's collection.

Jeff

Thanks

Thank you Jeff, its very decent what you are doing. If it does become possible, I look forward to seeing the 'pre-view' as I am presently researching someone based at RAF HQ Iraq, Hinaidi 1925-1927. Alas, I am unable to help you place the photos on e.g. 'photobucket' as I am clueless how its done but certain some kind soul will help you out. Thanks again.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 22nd July 2010 at 23:08.

Thanks

Hello Lewis,

if you have some of them scanned, i can upload them on my webspace for the time being.

otherwise, as suggested above, get yourself a free photobucket accunt at
    http://photobucket.com/

And then share a link with us. I can do that for you if you like.

One cannot load photos on this message forum due spam problems. If you add them to a photobcuket account then you can paste a link into a message here in this forum.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default RAF Hinaidi

Thank you for the many replies.

Following 'your' suggestion I have set up a page on photobucket and up-loaded six photos - entered as : jeff-lewis's Default Page

If some of you would be kind enough to try opening them - just to let me know that it works - then I will upload others.

There are well over one hundred photos - of fellow RAF staff and places, vehicles and the great Christmas menu (1928) - signed by many who attended.

Please note that when I entered Hinaidi into 'photobucket' - it gave several photos of an RAF hanger with modern-day cars etc - these are not mine.

Regards (and thanks)

Jeff
    Last edited by lewis; 23rd July 2010 at 13:44.