Thread: RAF Lancasters & Halifaxes - Meaning of Inspection Stamps

Thanks

Default RAF Lancasters & Halifaxes - Meaning of Inspection Stamps

Hello One & All,

can anyone illuminate the subject of the meaning (if any) of codes used on inspection stamps and data plates on various airframe parts of Halifax and Lancaster aircraft. I am wondering if such stamps can provide clues as to the place of manufacture or place inspection. In the instances below, the information comes from captured German documents, not any actual parts still in existance:

Halifax aircraft:

On a data plate on a tail fin: DWG 5702

On a data plate on an engine cowling: DWG 61114

On some type of cover/cowling:
    TDS 3 A
    _______
    C

Lancaster aircraft:

On the trailing edge of a wing:
    DID 314
    _______
    S

On the trailing edge of a vertical stabiliser:
    DID 308
    _______
    C

On a data plate on a vertical stabiliser: DWG No. 396, 1504, Serial No. R3/LB/23800

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

RodM

Thanks

Rod,
    "DWG" on parts normally indicates "Drawing" (Number), so relates to an actual engineering drawing which was the technical basis for manufacturing the part. Unfortunately every manufacturer would have its own system of allocating drawing numbers, so you would have to be familiar with all the drawing numbers for each type, although if you knew the actual airframe part relative to the number you would be half way there!
    "DID" sounds very much like a misreading of "DTD" (Directorate of Technical Development), a section of Air Ministry which detailed various specifications, designs or processes used in the aircraft industry, with one well-known area being in the matter of aeronautical surface finishes (protective and/or camouflage paints, dopes, etc). I think DTD.308 was such a specification. Some of them may still be current to this day (or equivalents)
    David D

Thanks

Hi Rod,

It's not much, but I can confirm R3 = Lancaster.
    Someone maybe able to help further with the rest.

Regards,
    Wayne.

Thanks

Default Thanks

Hi David & Wayne,

thanks for the replies. I 'feared' as much; that the information recorded from data pates and stamps would not reveal any significant information...

Cheers

Rod