Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halifax JD297 DY-Q "Queenie" 102 (Ceylon) Squadron RAF

Thanks

Default Halifax JD297 DY-Q "Queenie" 102 (Ceylon) Squadron RAF

In memory of F/O C.F. Read a distant relative of mine.

Researching 102 Squadron I have read Chris Goss’s excellent book “It’s suicide but it’s fun” and Tim Wingham’s equally harrowing “Halifax down!”. Don’t read either if you are of a nervous disposition. Tom Winghams book highlights that all is not always what it seems.

For further background I also have a copy of Mike Underwoods’ “RAF Pocklington and RAF Elvington War Diaries”.

Any more information about the crew or other raids F/O C. F. Read was on would be very welcome.

Are there any ways to find out more about the crash site? Is it marked in any way?
    The crash site being 10KM south of Maubeuge.

The Halifax DY-Q “Queenie” was a Halifax HP59 MKII can anyone post a photo or link to the exact specification of this model ?

"The men were very good to us and we were not hurt. They were a wall unto us both by night and day."
    1 Samuel 25:15-16.

Thanks

Hello,

As far as I can tell, there's no memorial at the crash site.

I don't understand if you have the crew of Halifax II JD297. In case not, they're all buried in Maubeuge town cemetery and you'll be able to get the full names from the C.W.G.C. registers (easier than more me to retype) : W/C H.R. COVENTRY, DFC was the pilot (the Squadron commander), Sgt G.T. PINE-COFFIN was the flight engineer, F/L F.E. KING D.F.C. was the navigator, F/O C.F. READ was the bomb aimer, Sgt W. BROWN was the wireless operator, Sgt W. HARDY and F/L G.F. HOGG were the two air gunners, the Squadron Operations Record Book doesn't make the difference between mid-upper and rear gunner. What's more F/L HOGG was the Squadron's gunnery leader.

The reference of the Operations Record Book for No. 102 Squadron is AIR 27/809 at the National Archives in Kew, London, if you're in a capacity to get there. I have copied the months of April 1943 and July 1943 (form 540 (monthly resume) in full but form 541 (daily resume) only for the 13/14 July 1943 raid) so can have a look at them and this won't be enough to list the missions he flew during these two months, if he was posted in in April or before.

I can forward you pictures of the graves in Maubeuge. Send me an e-mail if you want them (click on my name, on the upper left corner, it will give you access to my profile, which has my e-mail address).

We can't post pictures on this board (this is an anti-spam measure) but you'll find plenty of pictures and drawings of Halifax Mk II on the web, or in books.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss, many thanks. All information and pictures welcome. Email to follow.
    Kind regards Op-researcher.

Thanks

This is so weird, and I assure you that I am not making this up.

I am currently researching this crew as I have a coloured photograph of one of them. I was going to post today in the hope that someone would have some further information - and this turns up! How strange!

Perhaps its fate!

TEC

Thanks

Further to this, I believe that F/L King was the squadron navigation officer - quite a senior crew!

Thanks

Hello T-E-C,

The Squadron ORB doesn't say F/L KING was the Squadron navigation leader, while it definitively says that F/L HOGG was the Squadron gunnery leader.

His D.F.C. and that of W/C COVENTRY were published in the same London Gazette issue, but with no citation :

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36131/supplements/3630

Who is the crew member whose portrait you have ?

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 27th July 2010 at 07:40. Reason: adding link to London Gazette online page.

Thanks

Thank you for your posts, PM's and emails.

Interesting to learn of the goings on at 1658 Conversion Unit, C.U. RAF Riccall on this site and browsing these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_Conversion_Units
    http://www.oldairfields.fotopic.net/c307192_1.html

Was the D.F.C. automatic after completeing a tour?

Thanks

No, the DFC was not automatically issued after a completed tour. It happened quite often but was in no way guaranteed. I have researched a crew that completed 46 ops and no member was given a gallantry award whereas another crew I have looked at each received either the DFC or DFM after 30ops.

I guess it would largely depend on the ops completed, the crew who got the gallantry medals visited Berlin 10 times during their tour. They were lucky indeed!

Cheers,
    TEC

Thanks

JD297 DY-Q were I assume shot down by Rudolf Altendorf.

14.07.43 Oblt. Rudolf Altendorf 2./NJG 4 Halifax 10 km. S. Maubeuge: 5.000 m. 02.19 Film C. 2027/I Anerk: Nr.34

5,000m - approx 16,500 feet. Am I right in thinking that Oxygen is required over 10,000 feet?

Reading an account on here about "Boozer" used later to identify radar the nightfighter made multiple attacks I wonder if this was typical?

Which Nightfighter did Oblt. Rudolf Altendorf fly?

Thanks

I believe that he may have flown a BF 110. It appears that he shot down 25 aircraft.