Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Halifax JD297 DY-Q "Queenie" 102 (Ceylon) Squadron RAF

Thanks

Thanks TEC.

In Tom Winghams book "Halifax Down!" he mentions the Dutch local authorities writing a report and a German Official communique both of which detail the crash site, aircraft, wrekage and identifiable casualties approximate location etc.

Does anyone know how to gain access to such information for JD297's crash site i.e. local authorities at Maubeuge? or the German authorities official records? or indeed the Red Cross's records?
    Last edited by OP-researcher; 30th July 2010 at 09:33.

Thanks

Got the ORB through from the National Archives. Amazing stuff F/O C F Read flew ten missions from what I can see so far. Hit by flack over the target area on one! Attacked by night fighters, attacked by another Halifax! With crew that tested Monica (radar to detect other aircraft below and behind)!

Usual crew for the last four missions before Aachen raid with JD196 DY-J.
    Sgt J M Whitehouse PILOT
    P/O G S Smith NAV
    Sgt F G Brown W/O
    Sgt J Wilkinson A/G
    Sgt H Turner A/G
    Sgt N Spencer Eng
    F/O C F Read Bomb

Would welcome more information on any of these subjects.
    Last edited by OP-researcher; 17th August 2010 at 13:36. Reason: Added crew names.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tail End Charlie View Post
    No, the DFC was not automatically issued after a completed tour. It happened quite often but was in no way guaranteed. I have researched a crew that completed 46 ops and no member was given a gallantry award whereas another crew I have looked at each received either the DFC or DFM after 30ops.

I guess it would largely depend on the ops completed, the crew who got the gallantry medals visited Berlin 10 times during their tour. They were lucky indeed!

Cheers,
    TEC
    TEC is right. One of our 75ers who just died didnt get on with his Sqn Cmdr who blocked his DFM... Hes just died aged 96 and it had always rankled with him...
    Dee

Thanks

Default St.Eval & 10 O.T.U ORB's?

F/O C F Read's service records have come through showing he trained with 10 OTU Operational Training Unit and through the same at St.Eval as well. Does anyone have the ORB's for these units or know the codes to obtain them from the records office?

Thanks

Hello

TNA catalogue is online and is quite easy to search.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

No. 10 O.T.U. was mainly at Abingdon during that period. The O.R.B. is in AIR 29/638 for the time April 1940 to December 1943, and another bit is in AIR 29/640 for July 1940 - October 1946.

I imagine there is no chance to have a look at the record of service, as for the other documents you refused to share ?

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss

Thanks again for your help.

I'm quite happy to share his photo and the documents with you once I have permission from F/O Read's next of kin.

Regards OP-researcher.

Thanks

In my own act of rememberance to F/O C F Read I bought a copy of "The Man on the mantelpiece" by Janet Denny.

Janet Denny is the daughter of a No.4 Group, 77 Squadron (Melbourne, Yorkshire) Flight Sergeant. With extracts from his diaries Janet has written a thought provoking politically and socially insightful biography. Also useful to aircrew historians are the accounts of locations of various ACRC's, ITW's and OTU's what they were like both then, from the diary accounts, and now from Janets own experiences.

Bought it Saturday at Bosham Church Fete, had it signed by the author, met her mother the Flight Sergeants charming wife and finished reading it yesterday, it is a good read.

Janets mother confirmed aircrew families were put in contact with one another to share news of lost crew memebers and from these contacts friendships formed which remained for the rest of their lives. While chatting, another lady rather loftily announced she had been machine gunned by the Germans! Apparently while her father was stationed at Biggin Hill. Janets mother was quick off the mark to mention she had had a similar experience! I was relieved to find the full version in the book.
    Last edited by OP-researcher; 14th July 2015 at 10:40.

Thanks

Suspect viewers here are already aware of the 102 Squadron dedicated website but just in case you are not

http://www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk