Thread: F/Sgt A.F Walker RNZAF

Thanks

Default F/Sgt A.F Walker RNZAF

Hi all,

I am trying to find out some details on Albert Frederick Walker, killed July 1, 1944.

I am looking for info as to which unit he was with, his age, hometown, DoB etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Matt

www.bombercrew.com

Thanks

Matt,
    According to Auckland Cenotaph Database, the last unit he served in was 31sqdn RNZAF.
    Alan.

Thanks

Hello

He's mentioned in Errol Martyn's "For your tomorrow" volume 2, page 245, TBF-1C Avenger NZ2512 shot down during a strike against flak positions at Tobera airfield, New Britain. pilot F/Sgt M.S Aitchison survived and was later awarded the MM in recognition of his exploit, navigator was F/Sgt R.T. Mathieson, also KIA.

And so, there should be a short bio in volume 3 for the two airmen, and another entry about the pilot in "By such deeds" from Colin Hanson (edited by Errol)

Joss

Thanks

Matt,

From my Vol Three (Biographies & Appendices):

WALKER, Flight Sergeant Albert Frederick.
    NZ425184; b Te Aroha 28 Mar 10; ed?; sheet metal worker - D Henry & Co, Auckland. NZ Army/TF 3 yrs; RNZAF Hobsonville as Aircrafthand (ADU) 30 May 42, remust as Wireless Operator/Air Gunner u/t & ITW 9 Jul 42, emb for Canada 2 Oct 42, att RCAF 14 Oct 42, 3 M Depôt 19 Oct 42, 3WS 25 Oct 42, 2BGS 14 Jun 43, Air Gunners Badge & remust as Wireless Operator/Air Gunner & Sgt 26 Jul 43, 10AOS (Anson) as staff WOp 10 Aug 43, 3RD 14 Dec 43, rtd to NZ 18 Jan 44, PRD 19 Jan 44, ctba 27 Jan 44, 31 Sqn (Avenger - 25 ops) 4 Feb 44, with Sqn to Pacific 23 May 44, kao 1 Jul 44. Port Moresby (Bomana) War Cemetery - C8.A. joint grave 11-12, Papua New Guinea. Son of Frederick Angus Stanley & Marie Walker (née Guilding); h of Mabel Annie Walker (née Wrigley) & f of 1d, Pt Chevalier, Auckland. [BSD & phot. TWN 25.10.44].

And from 'By Such Deeds':

AITCHISON, Pilot Officer Murray Scofield, MM.
    NZ426088; Born Dunedin, 1 Nov 1914; RNZAF 30 May 1942 to 21 Oct 1944; Pilot.
    Citation Military Medal (Imm) (9 Aug 1944): [31 Sqn RNZAF (Avenger)] Blown out of his aircraft when it suffered three hits from heavy anti-aircraft fire while in an aiming dive upon a strongly defended enemy airfield, this pilot, after parachuting to the ground, escaped from Japanese-held territory as a result of his own initiative and determination, and by his brave conduct in the face of grave difficulties, set a fine example. Flight Sergeant Aitchison landed within one mile of a Japanese aerodrome, but by travelling carefully, husbanding his strength, making the maximum use of cover and putting to best advantage the few facilities at his disposal, he succeeded after two days and one night, in reaching a river, down which he floated in his rubber dinghy. This journey made by night down a swift flowing river was hazardous in the extreme, and throughout faced the imminent danger of detection by enemy patrols. He reached the sea and then paddled, off and on, for three nights and two days, against adverse currents, and was finally picked up by an Allied gunboat. Flight Sergeant Aitchison’s escape from enemy territory followed a tour of duty marked by exceptional determination and devotion to duty.
    This was the first Military Medal awarded to a serving member of the RNZAF. Member of the ‘Caterpillar’ and ‘Goldfish’ clubs. The two Avenger crew members who died during this operation on 1 Jul 1944 were F/S A F Walker, RNZAF (WOAG) and F/S R T Mathieson, RNZAF (Navigator), who are buried in the Bomana Cemetery, Port Moresby. Died Outram, 30 Sep 1999.

Errol

Thanks

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the information, it is far more than I ever expected to find this quickly!

Errol, I have sent you a private message regarding this.

Thanks again!

Matt

Thanks

Default FS Walker

Matt
    To get family stuff I know the lady who is enquiring has registered with one of the geneaology sites. I would like to suggest she also puts something on www.rootschat.com/forum as the NZ people on there have been really helpful when i have been looking for something... Also worth writing to the local newspaper and see if that gets any bites....
    Good luck to her as hopefully two disparate bits of her family might meet.
    Dee

Thanks

Matt - I sent you a PM. Please get back with me.

Jack S.