Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caterpillar Club Badge Eyes

Thanks

Default Caterpillar Club Badge Eyes

Greetings,

I realise that this question may have been raised a number of times before, but I have just been asked:-

Why do some catterpillar Club badges have green and some red eyes?

Is it due to different parchute manufacturers I wonder? This one is 1943 vintage.

Thanks

Cheers,
    Digger.

Thanks

All caterpillar club genuine pins issued by Irvin's has ruby red gem eyes. Sadly many repro type badges now exist, you need to have seen several genuine badges to identify correct from wrong. The green eye issue has been about for a very long time but according to my research they were never issued. Remember each pin had a membership card issued as well.

Thanks

Once I have heard an explanation that the red eyes were for an escape from aircraft ablaze, or did I confuse it with green for parachuting into the sea? Never seen any documentary evidence, though. Just another awful worm.

Thanks

Colin & Franek,

Thank you very much for your very prompt replies, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Digger

Thanks

Though the question has been answered, I thought you may like to read the last thread that covered this:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2243

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amrit View Post
    Though the question has been answered, I thought you may like to read the last thread that covered this:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2243

A
    Thanks Amrit.
    cheers,
    Digger.

Thanks

Dear Digger
    I spoke to a member of the Caterpillar Club about this recently. He got his in Oct 1942 and was unaware of any differentation on colour of eyes or of burning /non burning aircraft. As mentioned on the other thread by Namrondooh, this chap also wore it as his most prized award.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Default Caterpillar Club badge eyes...

Sorry to muddy the waters with this, but I stumbled across this thread whilst searching for information about the Caterpillar Club.

My father, Flt. Sgt. LW Cromarty DFM (61 squadron and later 189 squadron) has a caterpillar badge with red eyes, and he was always under the impression the red eyes were because his chute caught fire.

On 2nd February 1945 at 2300hrs the Lancaster in which he was Rear Gunner was blown to pieces by 'Shrage Musik', a fact he only discovered many years later, as the SS told him at the time when he was taken POW that four Lancasters had 'collided over the target'. 'Shrage Musik' was the nickname for an upward-firing cannon that the Luftwaffe used to fire directly into a lancaster's bomb bay.

Amazingly, my father is still around, about to celebrate his 88th birthday, and still married to my mother. They married in December 1945.

The reason for this research is because he no longer has his membership card, and is wondering if the Caterpillar Club records are still available to enable him to obtain a replica. A bit of a long shot, perhaps, but if you don't ask...!

Regards,
    Bernard

Thanks

i am pretty sure that Irvin will send out replacements (for a fee of 40-60) i think when they have ensured that the individual is fully entitled. Ditchpig informed me of this some time ago if memory serves me right
    As far as different eye colours its an urban myth created by those wishing to pass off repro/fake caterpillars as the genuine article
    Nick
    Last edited by berkshireboy; 24th October 2011 at 17:01.

Thanks

My fathers pin which I have in front of me has red eyes with his no/rank/name on reverse. He always said it was through being shot down over enemy territory.