Thread: F/Sgt Frank Sanders from 90 Sqn

Thanks

Default F/Sgt Frank Sanders from 90 Sqn

Apparently F/Sgt Frank Sanders from 90 Sqn was shot down during the night of 21-22/6/1943. He evaded capture but subsequently was captured at Paris on 24/7/1943 by the organisation of the Belgian traitor Prosper De Zitter alias "The Captain". My problem is that I don't find him in the crew of the only 90 Sqn's Stirling shot down that night ! Any idea ?

Thanks

He was discussed on the old forum previously.

http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=16163&forum=DCForumI D6&archive=yes
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 29th July 2010 at 13:23. Reason: Corrected the link
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

While it doesn't shed much light on the problem, I see that while Clutton-Brock's Footprints on the Sands of Time lists F/Sgt Sanders as a p.o.w. in 1943, Chorley's Bomber Losses for 1943 does not include him in appendix 9, prisoners of war.

I'm afraid that's not much help.

Sam

Thanks

Default F/Sgt Frank Sanders from 90 Sqn

Hello Dennis & Sam,
    Thanks for your answers. I was unaware of the 2007 thread, but unfortunately it doesn't answer the problem except Frank Sanders parachuted down in June 1943. From another Stirling ?

Thanks

Hello,

I can only concur with what Henk suggested in the old board thread, Frank Sanders baled out from his Stirling, which eventually made it back to UK, hence the loss of the bomber is not included in Chorley volume 4. It might be mentioned in the Roll of Honour.

I've have a few similar cases, one was an Australian Wellington copilot, the others crewmembers of No. 156 Squadron. Both machines landed back in UK, so no inclusion in Chorley.

A check in the Squadron ORB would be the best solution. Maybe "Smudger" Smith who knew a lot about that Squadron ?

Joss

Thanks

I do believe you're looking for Sgt Frank SANDERS - 541666 (PoW Camp 4B Nr. 222551). He got out of Stirling EE837 of 90 Sqn on a raid to Krefeld 21-6-1943; the bomber returned safely to base.
    Regards,
    Henk.